Author Topic: Waxed Cheeses - Mold Under Wax  (Read 1542 times)

riha

Waxed Cheeses - Mold Under Wax
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »
I'm beginning to dislike waxing. At least by brushing. All my four cheeses seem to be developing mold under the wax.

I just got myself a pot where I will put all my wax and try dipping (half and half) instead of brushing. I was thinking of peeling all the wax off the moldy cheeses, wipe them clean with salt/vinegar solution and rewax.

Just thought to ask if any of you'd have had similar experiences and could offer some suggestions or tips how to avoid problems like this from now on. This is a bit demoralizing...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Waxed Cheeses - Mold Under Wax
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:59:15 PM »
Yep! BTDT! Any cracks in the wax seem to develop mold and if you are a clutz like me you drop the cheeses and crack the wax every time.

Also if it's not dry enough when you wax it - it gets moldy. I don't like wax.  It's a PITA! I'd rather vac pack at least you can see what's going on very clearly.

riha

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
No cracks in my wax. Haven't dropped a single waxed wheel. (My port salut attempt did test it's strength against the forces of gravity and, sadly yet predictably, lost.) I guess the brushing very easily causes uneven surface (the one that's against the cheese) that is a good place for molds to live. That's why I'll try dipping.

I looked into vacuum packing devices, but those things are expensive. And I still do like wax, even if it seems to be, ahem, more challenging than some books would imply.

All have been dry to the touch, but don't know if it has been dry enough.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Agreed.
Wax makes a nice finish, but not a good aging rind.

I have vowed not to wax whole wheels during aging. I will use waxing only for decoration.

So, after aging, and wedges are cut, I may wax just prior to distributing wheels to friends family.