Author Topic: Microperforated Mould from Servidoryl USA  (Read 11111 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: Microperforated Mould from Servidoryl USA
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
I bought and tried a microperf at my farm a few years back.  I hated it, cheese was often times difficult to remove and it was impossible to clean.   Flash forward to now and we have an armada of microperf.  They can still be very difficult to remove but require no cheese cloth and they are cleaned in commercial caustic/acid baths along with the rest of our gear.  In my view it's the only way you can use them, if you have a way to boil them in caustic to remove the deposits.  Once the hole sare clogged draining is poor and the cheese starts to stick very badly. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Well that's four people or maybe 6 molds if I counted right. I always get two.

Francois
Are the holes to small to use a toothpick to clean? I often use hard toothbrushes to scrub small areas or stuborn spots on cheese cloth or mats.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »
They are far too small.  Also the plastic is very thick and there are literlly thousands and thousands of holes.  It's not practical to poke them all out with a needle etc and a brush won't cut it.

zenith1

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »
Ziggy-how did the molds clean up for you and how many times have you used them to date? have you noticed any buildup in the drainage holes?And how do you clean your molds after use?

siegfriedw

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
I have only used my mold once and just put it in the dishwasher and then a sanitizing drip. I have asked the distributor for cleaning recommendations.

It looks good - but give me a few more uses and also once I hear from the distributor I'll let you know what they say.

siegfriedw

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
Just wanted to let you all know I have not forgotten about this. Still waiting on a reply.

My second cheese with this mold came out great too - I decided to do a Christmas cheese - something like Deb's specialties..Hot Green and Red peppers...

zenith1

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Ziggy- thanks for the update. When you make your pepper cheese do you use just the peppers, or do you add liquid that they have boiled in also? Appx how much chili's do you use?

siegfriedw

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »
Actually what I did was use 6 medium size  peppers from my garden that I waled outside to pick fresh while the curd was being rennet-ted.

I chopped them up into small pieces and then added them into the curds (5 gallons of fresh goat milk) and whey at the point when I had drained off half the whey - figuring that by leaving them in the whey and curds at this point I would get the heat distributed through the cheese more so then just mixing in after draining as Alex's recipe describes.

Alex and DeejayDebi  have a couple of good posts on this in the hard cheese forum so I cant take credit.

I thought of posting a picture but it looks almost exactly the same as the one in Alex's post

See http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1886.0.html and http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1635.0.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
I got a call back from Servidoryl yesterday and an email quote today. To get a price break we have to order about 50 moulds.

The MM-180 - microperfed 1.8 kg St Paulin style moulds flat on top and bottom rounded sides are $80 each.

The  ARO-001 - 3.2kg Manchego moulds non micro perfed are $49.88 each.

I think he misunderstood because he sent a quote for 7 of these.

wharris

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:27 AM »
I really need a 10kg gouda mould like these.

siegfriedw

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
Well I need a 10kg too..they are $200 if I remember correctly.

It will take a lot to get up to fifty.

What kind of price break percent did they say at 50?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 02:42:26 AM »
He just said not much of a price break maybe a couple of bucks each. They sell alot cheaper than most companies as it is.

Might be better to all make separate orders at that rate - we'd pay twice for shipping to save a few dollars.

siegfriedw

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »
Deb - you are probably right. Thanks for trying though.

This group buy thing isn't a bad idea though perhpas for other things. I have seen it done on other forums I used to be  on (motorcycles, farm equipment) or maybe a discount at certain suppliers for forum members?.

zenith1

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
Hey Deb- it was worth a try. Thanks for following through and making the contact for us all.

wharris

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »
It would be nice is we all chipped to fund a library of moulds.
I don't need my 10KG mould but once every 2 months or so, and in the mean time it gathers dust. It would be nice if say, Sailor, needed to borrow it, he could just check it out like a book.

I don't think it would work in a practical sense, but the idea of a library of moulds to choose from is intriguing to me.