Author Topic: Hello from Canberra, Australia  (Read 2613 times)

bigfish_oz

Hello from Canberra, Australia
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »
Hello all!

My name is Alan and I'm from Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory, which as noted elsewhere in this forum, is the National Capital of Australia.

Canberra is an artifical city, created to prevent a civil war between the two original colonies within Australia. It is between Sydney and Melbourne roughly 1/4 of the distance from Sydney. It is a planned city - designed by Walter Burley Griffin - an American architect, whose design was chosen from an international competition.

Any way, enough of that!

I am a new cheesemaker. In fact my first cheese, a feta, is currently into its 3rd hour of draining. All did not go well during the process (I had some temperature control issues) but I think thinks turned out ok. The real proof will be a few days down the track, when I sample it. I am looking forward to venturing into soft mould cheeses (brie, camembert) and my favourite - stilton. Funny thing is, I always thought stilton was made in earthenware jugs. I suppose they just pack it into them for sale.

Anyway, I've learnt lots here in my few days of lurking, and I hope to learn a lot more in the future.

Cheers,
Alan

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Canberra, Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:35:24 PM »
Hi Alan, welcome, nice introduction, always good to have more Ozzie's here, especially ones who's ancestors stopped a civil war ;)! Have fun with your new hobby!

whichwhey?

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum alan.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
Hello Alan welcome aboard! There is lots to learn here and more coming every day.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
Welcome Alan. I do have one question. When you make cheeses "down under", do you have to drain and press them upside down?  ::) ;D ::)

pamaples

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:46:02 AM »
hardly har har!

bigfish_oz

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:59:47 AM »
Welcome Alan. I do have one question. When you make cheeses "down under", do you have to drain and press them upside down?  ::) ;D ::)

What is it with youy northeners?

Please check the link below to see who is doing things upside down!

http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/mcarthur-large.jpg

So now you know!  ;D

Cheers,
Alan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »
I had to stand on my head to read that one. Welcome Alan. Sure would like to visit your part of the world someday.

bigfish_oz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
I had to stand on my head to read that one. Welcome Alan. Sure would like to visit your part of the world someday.

And you'd be welcome!

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Alan. Interesting facts about your homeland. A lot of cheese making going on down under. And some of the best wines as you are well aware.

Tea

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
Good morning Alan ad welcome to the forum.  I am one of the Aussie's here, but I live in Nth Qld.

So how did the feta go?

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Welcome Alan to this fantastic forum, I keep learning soo much every time I visit thsi site, and the members are really helpful. I have visited Canberra a number of times, tha last being over 25 years ago, I visited the War Museum and of course Parliament house whilst visiting friends up that way (when I say up I used to live in melbourne now I am in New Zealand in the far north Hokianga region, very quiet here and beautiful.

bigfish_oz

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum Alan. Interesting facts about your homeland. A lot of cheese making going on down under. And some of the best wines as you are well aware.

My local area produces some of the best cool climate wines going... 

I have been known to have the occasional drop... I have proved that my former motor vehicle (a 2000 Mitsubishi Magna) could, with some judicious packing, fit 13 dozen bottles in the boot (trunk)  ;D

Cheers,
Alan

bigfish_oz

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
So how did the feta go?

Hi Tea, (or should that be High Tea?)

I had a few issues with temperature control along the way - misread the thermometer and let it drop to 20C then pushed it up to about 34C by trying to get it back too fast (to 30C).

The clean break was somewhat delayed. I assume this was because it was too hot - eventually took an hour longer than the book indicated. I ended up hanging it to drain for 24 hours before I cut and salted it. Put 2/3 in brine (with a dash of vinegar) and the remainder in EV Olive Oil with some mixed herbs.

I only sampled the crumbs that occurred during cutting. Texture was somewhat "springy" and a slight tendency to crumble. Here we are about 15 hours later and there are no signs of it dissolving in the brine -even the sharp edges from cutting are still there.

I've learned a couple of lessons so far:

1. Preparation is essential - don't decide to make cheese at 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon.
2. Wear your glasses - especially if you can't see the numbers on the thermometer dial.
3. If the temperature goes off the mark, don't panic. Adjust slowly and carefully.
4. Pray for success - avoid the "I told you so!" from SWMBO.
5. Dogs LOVE whey!

Cheers,
Alan

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed.

justsocat

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 02:21:49 AM »
Hi Alan!
Don't worry about making some steps aside those classic recipes that are written. I've already done a lot of mistakes and very few times got what I exactly planned. But I still haven't made no uneatable cheese and each new wheel makes me happy :)
My dog and cat love the whey so much that i guess can blow up if I give them all of it, they just can't stop :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:52:15 AM by Pavel »