Author Topic: My Baby Is Swelling Up.  (Read 36901 times)

Tea

Re: My Baby Is Swelling Up.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »
Sailor that looks absolutely fantastic!!  When they turn out great like that, don't you wish you have had a dozen of them at the same time.

Likesspace

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Sailor, I agree 100% with Tea's statement. GREAT JOB!!
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to see this (although just a tad bit jealous) since it is by far the best example of this style of cheese, that I've seen on this board.
Now here's something very important....
Are you listening?
You REALLY need to post this recipe as well as every move you made during this make.
You have produced the cheese I've been struggling to produce for the last 3 seasons and I haven't even gotten close to the success you've found.
I'll beg if I have to, but I really could use your help here.
Again, great job and congratulations. It has to feel really great.

Dave

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 12:43:57 AM »
Sailor, I envy you. That is a fantastic baby swiss.

When we have holes in our artisan bread like that we call it "they are big enough for the breadmaker to sleep in" and yours are big enough to sleep in. Congrats.

Yes we want the recipe.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 12:48:13 AM »
Amazing. I bow down to you, Sailor. Sir CheeseMeister!  :D

Excellent job. Now, for a description of the taste and texture...Sailor?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 04:08:39 AM »
Beautiful cheese sailor!

Likesspace

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »
Sailor.....
I'm a patient man.....
I mean I've given you all of 12 hours to post this recipe so I think my patience speaks for itself......
I can appreciate the need to play a little "hard to get", every once in awhile, but this is CERTAINLY NOT THE TIME TO DO IT!!!
Okay, just busting your chops a little, but I am dying to hear what you did to turn out this fantastic cheese. I've looked at the pictures so many times today I felt like a teenager that had discovered his dad's stash of Playboy magazines.
Really, I'm looking forward to your next post and congrats again.

Dave

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:56 AM »
Likesspace you crack me up. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 04:11:17 AM »
PLayboy and cheese huh?  :o

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 04:18:49 AM »
In case you missed it Dave ... He used Peter Dixson recipe. Here is the recipe and his notes:

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »
Followed Dixon's recipe to the letter with a couple of personal preferences. OK, so more than just a couple of variations. It is very important to understand that Baby Swiss uses a Meso culture while most other Swiss varieties use a Thermo.

1 - I used a straight Aromatic B culture. This adds Leuc. m. cremoris (LM57) to the mix. This bacterium gives a diacetyl (buttery) flavor AND it also produces CO2 above and beyond what the Propionic produces. NOTE - It's not possible to use this culture with a Thermo type Swiss like Emmental, which gets heated to 120F.

2- Peter calls for using just 1/10th the Propionic bacteria used in regular Swiss. Nonsense. I used 1/8th tsp., the same as I use in a regular Swiss.

3- I rippened at 90F. Peter called for 84F. That just seemed a little low to me for a Meso culture and I wanted a little more early acid production.

4- My pH targets were - 6.6 for raw milk to start, 6.45 at time of adding rennet, 6.35 at curd cutting, and 6.30 just prior to pressing.

5- I used a floc multiplier of 3.5 for a total set time of 45 minutes.

6- I made sure not to overcook the curds.

7- Peter calls for pressing for a total of just 5 hours. I pressed for 12 hours, but at just 1.25 psi (50 pounds on a 7-1/2" wheel), to keep the texture pliable.

8- Peter calls for holding the wheel overnight at 50F after pressing and then brining 12-16 hours for a 4 pound wheel. I brined immediately after pressing for just 6 hours. My rationale was to keep the rind pliable, and I didn't want a high salt content to inhibit the Propionic bacteria. (The finished cheese was NOT lacking for salt).

8- AFTER brining, I air dried at 55F for a week and then moved it to a warm room temp of 68-70F. Visible swelling started within just 2 days. After 10 days, it started sweating. I was concerned about losing fat, but it apparently was a good thing. I think a higher temp above 65F is VERY important.

9- After 3 weeks at room temp, I put it in the cave. After 2 weeks, I vacuum bagged and let it age. It continued to swell some even in the cave.

I cut it just shy of my 90 day mark. Put 1/4 back in the cave to age some more. Taste was fantastic. Buttery, as expected. Nice moisture content and classic Swiss flavor. The Baby Swiss is a washed curd cheese, but I actually like it better than my Emmentals. Will definitely be making lots more of these. 8)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:29:08 PM by Sailor Con Queso »

Likesspace

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
LOL@Wayne!
Debi, thanks for posting the pdf file.
Sailor, thanks for posting the changes you made to the recipe.
I think I might have to give this a try this weekend but if not, within the next couple of weeks. I still can't get over how nice that cheese turned out.
Thanks again,
Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »
Sailor....
I do have one other question....
How much milk did you use in the recipe?
I checked on Peter Dixon's site and he does not give a quantity.
I'm trying to figure out how much culture to use for the recipe.
If you can make a suggestion I would appreciate it.
I will be using 4 gallons of whole milk.
Thanks in advance.

Dave

linuxboy

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »
Dave, Peter does specify a quantity in the baby swiss recipe: 50 lbs, which is about 5.8 gallons.

mosborn

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »
Beautiful cheese, Mr. Con Queso!   

What's the appropriate saying among cheesemakers?  Congratulations?  :)   Anyway, very nice.  And thanks for the details on the making, too.

(And just in time for Saturnalia feasting !)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 01:45:02 AM »
This was a 4 gallon batch. I used 1/4 tsp of Aromatic B and 1/8 tsp of Propionic shemanii. Cultures were from Dairy Connection.