Author Topic: Asadero Cheese Making Recipe?  (Read 9412 times)

Ariel301

Asadero Cheese Making Recipe?
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:59:13 AM »
I want to make some asadero, but had a question about the recipe provided by this website. It doesn't call for any kind of culture at all. Is that correct, or a mistake?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Asadero Cheese Making Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »
Your right it doesn't. I never checked it before. I make mine a bit differently.

Asadero Cheese - Deejays

Ingredients:
1 gallon Milk
1/4 teaspoon Ezal TA 61 or 1/4 teaspoon Choozit TM 81
Rennet
Salt for brine

Procedure:
Pasterizing (Just killing germs here)-
Heat milk to 161 – 167°F (72 – 75°C) for 16 – 30 seconds then allow to cool to 98.6°F (37°C ).
Inoculation (Adding Starter)-
Add starter.
Cool to a temperature of 97 – 98°F (36°C – 37°C) maintain this temperature until specified.
The pH at this point should be 6.5 +- 0.1. (a pH meter could help find problems)
Add the amount of rennet as directed by your manufacturer and mix thoroughly.
Let sit undisturbed for 30 – 50 minutes or a clean break is achieved.
Once a clean break is achieved cut the curds walnut size, 1/2 to 3/4 inches (1.5 – 2 cm ) maximum.
Once curds are cut let them sit undisturbed for 5 – 10 minutes, then stir to prevent matting for another 15 – 30 minutes.
Ladle or pour off the whey to just above the level of the curds. Make a note of the amount of whey removed.
Add 149°F – 158°F (65°C – 70°C) water in an amount equal to about half of the whey removed in the previous step allowing curd to be scalded to 107.6°F (42°C +- 1° C) and stir 20 – 40 minutes.
The pH before pressing should be about 5.20 +- 0.10 under whey level (after reaching pH 5.20, all the cheese has to be blanched in hot water as quickly as possible). Blanch then knead the cheese until stretchy then repeat until a long string of cheese can be pulled without breaking similar to mozzarella.
Once the cheese has reached sufficient stretching chill in 64.4°F (15°C - 18°C) brine water.
Brine bath salting time: depends on cheese size. Vacuum seal, into plastic bags processing and refrigerate.

cheesie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »
Question, what thermometer do you recommend? I am starting and we'll see if my cheese turns out, it's in the process as we speak but I am having trouble finding a reliable thermometer and it's becoming a pain! Any ideas???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
I like the reliability and ease of calibration of the old style Taylor dial thermometers. I use them for everything. I also use a a Taylor digital quick read thermometer for fast checks. The important point here is to get a therometer that can be calibrated and check it often. As cheese is very fussy about temperature a few degrees one way of the other can totally change the texture and moisture content of a cheese and this is the most important tool in your arsenal IMHO.

That being said - the old reliables can be gotten for a mere $6 at WalMart or any hardware store. You you go digital keep a few dials around for when the batteries go out!

cheesie

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
Thank you :)

I'll look into those, I was looking at one from the new england cheese making website...

In any case I have no idea what happen to my "cheese" but all I know is nothing happened! I heated the milk as per the instruction (and used the recipe) in this site; added the rennet let it sit and NO curd formed at all!! After 50 minutes and having diluted the 1/2 the rennet in water and then adding it to the milk absolutely nothing happened??? Can you give me some advice here??

The only thing I did do is I diluted the rennet in the water about 2 hours before I put in the milk... maybe that was my problem???

OudeKaas

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:12 AM »
I tried making one of these myself a month or so back, and had great difficulty getting the curd to stretch at all, despite repeated microwavings, large cash offerings to the casein gods, etc.

I ended up with a fairly pleasant queso blanco sort of a thing but I really wanted the stretchy/stringy quality. Will check my archives for more detailed info that might help in troubleshooting and maybe post some pics if I can find them . . .

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Quote from: cheesie link=topic=2211.msg42486
The only thing I did do is I diluted the rennet in the water about 2 hours before I put in the milk... maybe that was my problem???
Very likely this could be the issue. I prepare my rennet at the time I need it. Another issue could be your water source.  Chlorinated water, or mineral heavy water can also affect rennet's viability.

cheesie

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
You know I thought about it while I put the rennet in... I should have mixed it fresh. As for the water; I use water from my water filter which is pretty good so I don't think the water was the issue it might be the rennet or the fact that I had a scrappy thermometer and did not get a correct reading from the milk??? In any case I shall try again..