Author Topic: Paneer with cumin  (Read 2403 times)

dc-k

Paneer with cumin
« on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
Made as per recipe here http://cheeseforum.org/articles/paneer-cheese-making-recipe/ scaled to 2 litres.

Photos show coagulation in pan, draining in strainer bag, pressing in colander and result after 90 minutes pressing.

the run off from pressing was whiter than expected so I don't think I extracted all the fat in the paneer. I made ricotta from the whey and got about half a tennis ball's worth of ricotta (I'll post in the ricotta area).

dc-k

Re: Paneer with cumin
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »
funny, the photos were the right way up in the pictures folder...

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
Nice job dc-k. Might have needed a bit more acid added to get better seporation (milky whey). That is a very fancy draining setup you have there!

dc-k

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
Nice job dc-k. Might have needed a bit more acid added to get better seporation (milky whey). That is a very fancy draining setup you have there!

Agree about the acid, this is the first time I've made paneer so I'm still learning.

The draining kit is designed for jam straining I think but works really well for ricotta and apparently, paneer!

I'm cooking with the paneer tomorrow

Offline Jules

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cheese History
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:27:05 PM »
Your paneer looks great. I have made paneer once so far (must do it again sometime soon) and it looked slightly wonky after pressing too.
I am intrigued to know how it tastes with the cumin.
I make cheese and videos about the history of cheese.