Author Topic: Queso Panela  (Read 16091 times)

margaretsmall

Re: Queso Panela
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
Quite poetic really.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
I have translated alot of recipes from Italian and some were pretty funny. They always use an expression that translates to english as "and only the fatman knows" or something like that. I finally figured out after translating about 30 recipes and by the step in the instruction that it was something to do with when to cut the curds.

elkato

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
Hello, I am from Mexico, queso panela is a boring tasteless cheese consumed by the truck load. The panela is one of the reasons why people here find it strange to age any cheese to increase flavor.  for this reason It must be the easiest cheese in the world to make, your recipe doesn't specify temperatures  or starters you don't need them because you will eat it fresh when all cheeses taste the same.
 just warm the milk to 35c add enough rennet to have a clean break in 45min, cut in large chunks, stir a little, strain add salt to taste and there you have it
if you could compare home or artisan cheese making to wine making then Queso panela would be like making grape juice, but then again juice is good for you!!

aussiechucka

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »
Hi,
Sorry for dredging up an old post but I am trying to make Queso Panela here in Australia. I tried last night with milk from Woolworths Farmer Own un-Homogenized.
4Litres of Milk
1/8th teaspoon of CaCl in cooled water
1 Mad Millies tablet ( which took way too long to set the curd)
According to most pages and recipes it was nothing else.
heated to 35 degrees C added rennet in cooled un-chlorinated water
Let it set for 45min, had to give it 30min more till set OK.
Cut curd into 2cm cubes, allowed to rest for 5min.
Removed from the pot with a slotted spoon and placed curd into sqaure baskets to drain overnight.
My wife said it tasted just like milk. She is from Yucatan in Mexico and I am not sure of the flavour of Queso Panela. I think it should taste like milk as no other additives are added?
Anyone with a good recipe for Panela?
I have done Queso Oaxaca from Gavin Webber and it turned out perfectly and I have had three Mexicans very happy with the taste. I would also like to do his Queso Cotija as I do love Queso Anejo on my eggs and codzitos.
Auyudar mi porfa.
Any help would be great. In spanish or english, I can translate it.
Cheers
Chucka