Author Topic: Cheddar - Mottled White-Yellow Colour?  (Read 5303 times)

jackdag

Cheddar - Mottled White-Yellow Colour?
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »
Hi Folks

Just wondering, i start 2 week ago to make cheese lolol after reading for more then 2 month, my first 2 batch was i mess, and i read again, thanks this wonderfull site, because my wife think im crazy, so i just show them im not alone lolol.
My last 2 cheese i make its good, the curd cheese i make see the picture are good and squeaky, lolol i already eat all in 1 day,the second is a cheddar lollol i hope and now on is 8 day of aging, but i notice that the cheese is changing color nice yellow, but not everywere some spot are still white even if they are dry ( i thinks), coul anyone help me on this , if is the color is ok or it a problem.

Thanks to all, sorry folks my english is not very good im from quebec

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:28:52 PM by jackdag »

Cheese Head

Re: Cheddar - Mottled White-Yellow Colour?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:43:51 PM »
Bon soir jackdag, très belle fromage!

So the curd cheese is all gone ;D and you are worried about your cheddar having uneven colouring.

I don't think it's an issue but a little more info would be useful, most cheese is by default white unless milk from a certain of year I think which happens more with small dairy milk than mass manufactured store bought milk.

Is the yellow colour from a die like Annatto?

What type of milk did you use, ie cow, raw, store bought past & homogenized?

Congrats again on first three cheese making!

jackdag

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Hi john like we say in french bienvenu dans maison thanks too to reply, in fact no' nothing was added. fresh milk bougth at the store . whole milk, buttertmilk starter culture, regular time zone curdling and  cooking and aged for 8 days not even started brinning and smile nice too

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
It is posible that even though it feels dry some moisture was absorbed into the spots while sitting on the mat to age. A bit a whey maybe  ???

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
JD, I don't know about cheddar making but I thought cheddar was not a salt brined cheese. However all cheese needs a specific % salt, did you direct add salt in making?

wharris

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
Every one of my cheddars has shown that mottled color on the surface.

I still am not sure why.

I will say that when I cut my wheels open, that is not the case throughout the cheese. This appears to be only at the surface.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:19:24 PM by Wayne Harris »

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
I have the same experience as Wayne. It happens a lot as it is drying but doesn't affect my cheese. Those curds look tasty!

wharris

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
As a reference, look here:

hplace

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
I've always assumed the mottling is a result of some curds being moister than others - the moist curds are white, the dryer curds are yellow. Once the moisture evens out, the whole thing turns yellow.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »
With colored cheese it can be a lot of things. Greasy curds, film coating the curds, piling to  high when cheddaring, even wilds yeasts - but this cheese was not colored if I read right.

jackdag

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks to all guy, the with mottled sport now are all most gone, lolol somy baby is safe i think the only problem is t resist is to avoid eat them before the mature time is done, that they hard parts, will post some icture infw day, thanks wyane great cheese

Best Regards