Author Topic: semi success - Halloumi  (Read 1749 times)

bonk

semi success - Halloumi
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:45:21 AM »
Hi All,

following up from my clean break question, i wanted to try again with the advice i was given.  I even found non-homogenised milk at my store. (nothing like being 3000Kms away from the nearest dairy).

anyway, i diluted my 2ml of rennet with about 45-50ml of water and whisked it in for no more then 20 secs and left it alone.  I got a great set, looked like milk jelly and got a clean break like the books.  i took some photos to share.

here is my cutting the curds

stirring them up

and in the brine

i used a recipe similar to tea (further down in the thread) i guess we got the same book.  The reason why i went for a halloumi style  is it didnt require a starter as i only have a cambert blend. 

Things i learnt was similar to tea, i left the whey boiling when adding the curds.  so i think they went a bit south.  And the brine was more salty then i expected.  Having read tea's post, i think i can correct and try again.

thanks all for the positive help!  ;D

Tea

Re: semi success - Halloumi
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:52:08 AM »
Hi Bonk and congrats on trying this cheese.  Yes it is very salty, but can be soaked in milk for upto an hour before eating.

Yes don't leave the water to boil.  Just bring to the boil and turn off.

Hope next time it works well.

Michelle

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:18:52 AM »
Hi,
I wonder if your cheese is quite salty because the pieces look quite thin when soaking in the whey?

In my recipe I end up with rectangular blocks about 10 x 5 x 2.5 cm.  These are then cooked in the whey sprinkled with salt, then folded in half.  Now the blocks are about 10 x 5 x 5 cm rectangular.  They are then left to soak in the brine and when you want to cook it you cut the block into slices and fry.

One of my favourite cheeses, this is!  And the best thing is, you don't have to wait for it to mature. Yum!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:34 AM »
Congrats Bonk!