Author Topic: Stilton -- Milling and Salting  (Read 6105 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Stilton -- Milling and Salting
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »
Baby - Switching to un-iodized salt means the finished quality of your cheeses just took a giant leap forward.  ::)

Baby Chee

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
I'll check that out....in 6 to 8 weeks.  Just made a Gouda today.

Hey, my Ricotta from whey didn't come out well.  About 2.5 gallons whey gave me only a fist of Ricotta, so far.  Might drain to less by tomorrow.  Is that normal?  I have no idea why: vinegar too early or maybe curds were more thorough for the cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 12:59:57 AM »
The yield from whey can be a wide range.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 03:07:29 AM »
If you add even just a couple of cups of whole milk into the whey it can really boost your yield.

Baby Chee

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »
That's good to know!  I'll try that next time...which is today: I'm making another Gouda.  (That's 6 4lb.(approx) Goudas in 4 weeks!)

And I can refine further as I'll be doing a cheddar in a couple days.

T-Bird

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
morton has 2 kinds of "table" salt available here(Ala). One is iodized, the other not. The Iodized kind is clearly labeled IODIZED in yellow on the label. Since table salt is usually much finer than kosher salt,( Alton Brown on Food TV discovered that all brands of kosher salt are not the same grain size) if you measure it by volume in a recipe, you will add more salt to the recipe if you use table vs kosher.The "cheese" salt I bought from leener's looks like the kosher salt that I buy and cook with. When it is gone, I will use kosher for cheese making. T-Bird