Author Topic: Help with my first Gouda.  (Read 2056 times)

Matt

Help with my first Gouda.
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
Hi guys l have just made my first ever hard cheese, a Gouda. I have it in box with wet napkins for humidity and an ice block which keeps it at 50-60F. After 4 days the cheese is still very damp. Can l dry it at room temperature to dry and form the rind?

Cheese Head

Re: Help with my first Gouda.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:58:07 AM »
Matt, I assume you brined your cheese, that would have given it a good kick start as a rind. On mine this goes away over time as salt diffuses evenly into the cheese.

My and most people's problem during the first few days is too much moisture. I use plastic Tupperware type boxes in my cheese fridge for ripening/aging and find the first few days I have the lid cracked an inch or so to let off the excess moisture, plus have two - three mats underneath to keep it up out of any draining whey. Then after few days as whey expulsion and evaporation reduces, I slowly close the lid until small leak. If you don't have a hygrometer, then I've found if lots of moisture on walls then too humid, if none then humidity too dry.

I used to use an insulated picnic box with freezer blocks to keep cool but found the condensation from the blocks gave me puddles of water and too high a humidity. Your cheese still being very damp after 4 days is not good, rather than drying at room temp my vote is to remove the wet napkins, less shock to your cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:12:55 AM »
I tend to brine gouda right out of the press then let it sit at out at room temperature for about a day or two until fairly dry then sit it in the cave for a few weeks to a month before I vac pack it. Wash it with a damp brine salt solution if it develops mold and flip every day.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »
Ok, well Deb just answered my question.  Must you wax a gouda. 

To answer the OP, my gouda comes straight out of the mould into a 20% brine, (time bepends on weight), then is allowed to dry at room temp for a day or two, however long it takes before it is then prepared for aging in the cave.

This time though I was wanting to allow a natural rind to form rather than waxing.  So might salt for a few weeks then oil.  Turned out the cheese this morning and I am quietly pleased with it so far.  Fingers crossed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:23 AM »
Good luck Tea!