Author Topic: Beer Washing Natural Rind Cheese - How To?  (Read 2986 times)

Cheese Head

Beer Washing Natural Rind Cheese - How To?
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
This thread is meant for beer washing all natural rind cheese types, the follwing is my first try.

Two weeks ago I made some semi-lactic cheeses following member Alex's beautiful semi-lactic cheeses, my records here with P & G candidum molds puffed straight onto cheese rather than better method of adding directly to milk, I'll correct that in next batch. In that thread Alex recommended beer or wine washing the natural rinds once bloomed to keep the P candidum from growing too much and presumably developing slip or toad skin, a common problem in Camemberts.

Sadly I didn't do it when when early bloom as recommended but when strong P candidum white bloom and thus have a very thick skin, bordering on slip-toad skin. The two cheeses also had some wild airborne blue mold, the last two pictures of the one which got banged and thus is mis-shappened. Anyway I poured a little beer over it and and then by hand dipped and rubbed the rind which basically flattened the mold bloom. This morning I thought the cheeses were a goner, so I made a breakfast sandwich with some. To my surprise it was wonderful, very similar to a creamy Gorgonzola.

Enough history, my questions are:
  • How do you beer bath a natural rind type cheese, just dip and roll by hand like I did?
  • How often should you beer bath and when is it normally good to eat?

Thanks for advice . . . John.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:10:46 PM by John (CH) »