Author Topic: Milk, Cow's, Store Bought - OK To Use In Cheese Making?  (Read 10507 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Milk, Cow's, Store Bought - OK To Use In Cheese Making?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 03:09:56 AM »
Nope not bad at all!

Baby Chee

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 01:31:48 AM »
This week/end I have gotten a LOT more curd out of the store milk with the Calc. Chloride and better rennet prep., and keeping the starters in the freezer.  Even pressing my goudas for extra hours (due to sleep) I wind up with bigger cheeses.  My 8" hard cheese mold is almost too small for 3.5 gallon cheeses.

whichwhey?

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
When be farmers dry up their goats? I want to check around for prices but not sure if now is the right time. ???

linuxboy

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
When be farmers dry up their goats? I want to check around for prices but not sure if now is the right time. ???

Depends on the breeding schedule and goat type, but generally right around now, Sept-Nov.

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
This week/end I have gotten a LOT more curd out of the store milk with the Calc. Chloride and better rennet prep., and keeping the starters in the freezer.  Even pressing my goudas for extra hours (due to sleep) I wind up with bigger cheeses.  My 8" hard cheese mold is almost too small for 3.5 gallon cheeses.

Autumn and winter cow milk typically has higher protein levels because of where the cows are in their lactation cycle, and feed type. So it might be that, or it might be your revised approach, or both :)

whichwhey?

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Okay thank you for the info. I was thinking about just staying with cow milk for now. Can one use the store bought goats milk?

linuxboy

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Okay thank you for the info. I was thinking about just staying with cow milk for now. Can one use the store bought goats milk?

Most store goat's milk is not very good. It's ultra pasteurized and rather nasty. If you can find a local source, it may work.

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
Ditto linuxboy, I tried to make a Chevre once using store bought Goat's milk, all I could find was Ultra Pasteurized, didn;t get a good set. I may try again though with more rennet.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
I don't think more rennet would make much difference. Ultra-pasteurization really damages the milk structure. "Organic" milk is usually UP and is worthless for cheese.