Author Topic: Waxing - Best Method?  (Read 1779 times)

Missy

Waxing - Best Method?
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:25 AM »
I just spent 30-45 minutes waxing a 2 pound wheel of cheese.  Pathetic, I know.  First I had my wax really hot and brushed it on but it seemed to keep melting down/off the wax that I had just applied that was hardened.  So then I cooled the pot of wax down but it never really coated evenly and thoroughly.  I hope it's decent enough to prevent mold.  I just kinda gave up.

What am I doing wrong here?  This shouldn't take this long and still not even be an adequate job.  LOL 

zenith1

Re: Waxing - Best Method?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
Yup-waxing is a pain, but that said it can be done. The best way is to dip the wheel if you have a big enough bowl of wax. A quick dip don't hold it in the wax. A couple of thin coats is better than trying to really paste it on thick. You should be able to brush it on, I have always found that the wax sets up too fast for me when brushing it on. Also it does not look as nice, although that does not affect the function of the wax, that is to seal out the critters and keep the wheel from drying out. Also you can try chilling the wheel of cheese for twenty or so minutes in the fridge so that the wax will set faster. And by all means be careful with the vapors from the melted wax around open flames- they can be very dangerous! You can try to make a little dipping rig from bent up coat hangers....

wharris

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:58 AM »
Here is a thread about my waxing tool.

I also hand dip some Wheels.
I find it best when the wax is not VERY hot.  If it is too hot, the wax coating is too think, and danger is high.  You end up needing many coats. 
I melt the wax until if flows smoothly, and has no "chunks".

If I hand dip, I usually manipulate the wedge or wheel such that when i pull it out, i let the excess flow to a single point.  You will have to figure that part out for yourself.  If you do it a couple dozen times, you will get what I am trying to say.

Baby Chee

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
What am I doing wrong here?  This shouldn't take this long and still not even be an adequate job.  LOL
This thread is, for some reason, blanked.  There must be a glitch on the boards.  I'm posting this to hopefully let people read the thread again.