Author Topic: Greetings from Washington State!  (Read 2508 times)

cheesewiz

Greetings from Washington State!
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:47:30 AM »
    Hello! I began making cheese a couple of months ago, when my daughter gave me a mozzarella kit for my birthday. I’ve made nine cheeses so far, starting with the soft cheeses and working my way up to hard. I just finished making farmhouse cheddar from Ricki Carroll’s Home Cheesemaking book and the manchego recipe from this site. I’ve been blogging about my cheesemaking journey, but it’s mainly to inform family and friends about what I’ve been doing. (cheesemaking and anything I term “cheesy” is fair game). Most of my cheesemaking information comes from Ricki’s book, and most of my recipes have been from the Leener’s site.

My goal is to consistently make really good semi-hard and hard cheeses -- mainly because I like them the best. So far, I’m like a new cook -- just following the recipes. My efforts seem to turn out looking and tasting like cheese, but I feel I need to educate my palate and learn more about the process/chemistry, so I can figure out how to tinker with recipes without ruining the cheese (not to mention the expensive raw milk). I’m amazed at the amount of information and assistance on this forum. I think it’s just what I need to obtain a deeper understanding of the art of cheesemaking. Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Greetings from Washington State!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:59 AM »
Hello there Cheezewiz and welcome! I got my start with a mozzarella kits about 30 years ago and I've been making cheese off and on evert since. Nice to have a place where others also share the passion. Enjoy!

whichwhey?

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum cheesewiz

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »
Welcome to the board! I am new here too and am enjoying the information. By the way, you said "expensive raw milk". How much do you pay for a gallon? I am just curious how much my raw milk is worth. ;D

cheesewiz

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
$7/gallon - which seems high compared to commercial milk.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »
I pay $6 in Kentucky.

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
Wow! Didn't realize the gold mine I was sitting on! Right now I am getting 6+ gallons a day and that is letting the calves have over half of it. Wish we had that kind of market here  :'(

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
$6 to $8 a gallon here depending on whether I provide bottles several days in advance.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »
Is raw milk legal to sell to consumers in Washington? It is NOT here. That's what makes the prices higher. Farmers are only getting about 90 cents a gallon at wholesale.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:55:46 PM »
Is raw milk legal to sell to consumers in Washington? It is NOT here. That's what makes the prices higher. Farmers are only getting about 90 cents a gallon at wholesale.

Yes it is, from a grade A licensed dairy.

FarmerJd

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »
Illegal here in alabama too. Some people sell it as animal food and I know a few people try to "coop" the ownership of the cow and share the milk. I have people beg me for the butter and buttermilk and tell me to name the price. I wish the law was different.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
Welcome! Raw milk is illegal here in Colorado unless you buy a "share" of the animal. We just do it under the radar here in this small community. I am paying $5 for cow milk (Jersey), $10 for goat and $16 for sheep, which is in limited supply.
If you use store milk, how do you know how fresh it is?
Pam

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 03:45:47 AM »
I use "under the radar" raw milk for all of my cheeses.

FYI - I am going thru the stupid bureaucratic hoops to become a licensed cheesemaker. Then I will be able to buy raw milk legally (and cheaper) and sell cheese that's aged at least 60 days.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:51 AM »
If you use store milk, how do you know how fresh it is?
Pam

Go to a store with a high turn over rate and get the ones stamped with the longest expirations date.