Author Topic: Blue Ribbon Apple Pie  (Read 2166 times)

pamaples

Blue Ribbon Apple Pie
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »
Paper Bag Apple Pie

(Requires nerves of steel for the baking part)

A baked 10 inch pie shell
5 – 7 large Jonathan apples
½  c. sugar for filling
2 Tblsp flour for filling
½ tsp nutmeg

½ c sugar for topping
½ c flour for topping
½ c butter for topping

Pare, core, and quarter apples, then cut each quarter in half crossways. Place the apples in a large bowl. Combine ½ c sugar, 2 T flour, and nutmeg in a cup; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat well. Spoon apples into the pie shell and arrange them hump side up, piling them up towards the center. Combine ½ c. flour and ½ c. sugar for topping in a bowl and cut in ½ c. butter. Sprinkle over apples. Slide the pie into a big brown paper bag and fasten with metal paper clips. Be sure the pie does not touch the sides of the bag. Place the whole thing on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven one hour. Do not let the bag touch the sides of the oven. NO PEAKING. Your house will smell like almost-burning paper bags, that’s ok. The flash point for paper is greater than 400 degrees. At 5000 ft or above, bake for an hour and a half or until you smell apples along with the burnt paper smell. Of course, if you are using a wood cook stove, it is not necessary to use a paper bag.

Do not use cinnamon; (no matter what gramma said.)

Tricks: If you use a baked pie shell, sprinkle a little flour in the shell and fill the holes. It is better this way but truthfully, I don’t often pre bake the pie shell any more.

If you can’t find Jonathan’s try, in this order: Winesap, Romas, Granny Smith. It will not be the same, but it will be close.

PS: It should be browned and bubbly on top. Getting to this point inside a paperbag without peeking is a matter of practice. If yours isn't browned enough, just put it back into the oven without the bag to toast a little.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:58:30 PM by pam »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Blue Ribbon Apple Pie
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
This is my nephews favorite pie but I have to use cinnamon.

pamaples

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »
Well, you certainly can make your pie any way you and yours like it. Rave reviews from family are always a good thing! But consider using just nutmeg once just to try. It is a completely different taste. Sixteen judges over three years can't be wrong. To me, apple pie with cinnamon is just like every other apple pie. Everybody puts cinnamon with apple pie. The judges kept saying "We don't know what it is; something is different here..." over and over. I think the difference is the absents of cinnamon.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »
I used nutmeg and cinnamon