Author Topic: Making a 24 gallon batch of cheddar today  (Read 5951 times)

FarmerJd

Making a 24 gallon batch of cheddar today
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »
It is going to be kind of crazy because the AL/Kentucky game is at 11:20 which will be right in the middle of cooking and cheddaring. For this reason I was considering just skipping the cheddar part and making a basic farmer's cheese. What is a good farmer's cheese like? Bland?

zenith1

Re: Making a 24 gallon batch of cheddar today
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
it's an OK table cheese-without the more complex flavors and sharpness that you would expect from a more "traditional" cheddar. I don't believe that I would go to the expense(both time and financial) of making a 24 gal batch of that style though.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »
Expense is only for the rennet. Time....? it's Saturday :) and there is no difference in time really from a small batch. Just converting the milk to storage basically. I am not a cheese connoisseur. Just feeding the kids! I tried a farmer's cheese a long time ago but it turned out rubbery so I really don't know what a real one is like. This was just sort of a last minute decision. I am about to add rennet now. Thanks for the input zenith. I was thinking that was going to be the case. I may go ahead and cheddar it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »
Although you will save time I don't think you or your family will be happy with the result after eatting good cheddar.

jimmyzshack

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
is farmers and stirried the same thing? I'm about to do 3 gal of stirried cheddar.

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »
I was referring to simply pressing the curds after the initial cooking. The cheddaring process is when you cook the curds after draining the whey.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »
Jimmy stirred curd cheddar is  different from farmers cheese (although some people call it that) - it is somewhere between the two. I would rank sirred curd closest to milled, cheddared cheddar.

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
I agree Deb. The stirred curd in my opinion is a better than the " farmers or farmhouse" cheddar. The texture is far better.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
I hate Farmhouse Cheddar. Bland and ordinary. Stirred curd is definitely several steps up. Traditional cheddar is the best, but takes longer.

riha

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
Is there a "farmhouse" cheddar recipe somewhere? I've made stirred curd and cheddared cheddar (both aging, haven't tasted) and know the difference between making those.

Just curious. And often confused with the terminology :)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »
There are several Farmhouse Cheddar recipes. The only one I have used is in Ricki Carrol's book - Home Cheese Making.

wharris

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »
Love to see your setup.
How you are controlling temperature.
How you are stirring your curds.
Moulds you are using etc.

FarmerJd

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »
Sundays are my busiest day so i rarely have time to post. Wayne, I posted pics of some of my "equipment" in the introduction I gave. I was planning on adding themostats and timers and other control mechanisms after I made sure everything worked but I sort of got use to the system so I haven't yet. I just know how long to leave the heater on. My stirrer is my most functional and laughable part. Ice cream churn motor with wooden spindle and paddles. It revolutionized my cheesmaking not to mention made the kids look forward to it instead of dreading it. :) I use a cooler with a drain in one end and a light attached to the lid for my cheddaring unit. I dip the curds out of the pot and into the cooler (propped up about 2 inches), wait 15 minutes and cut the whole mass down the center into 2 long loaves then slice both loaves into 1" pads. I stack the pads about 5 to 6 high (is this too high) and every 15 min i peel them apart and restack them with the top one on the bottom and so on. They stay at an angle so the whey always drains. I never have to put the curds in a colander because they drain so well in this. I saw your wire mesh in the bottom of yours and liked it so I am going to add that soon. After 1 to 2 hrs, everybody helps cut the curds into 1/2 inch cubes and I salt them in the cooler then press 15 at 2psi 30 at 6psi and 12-24 hrs at 15 -20 psi depending on the hoop.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2205.0.html

I took a lot of pics yesterday and I'll try to post them tomorrow. Did a really stupid thing pressing. For some reason (can't leave well enough alone i guess) I decided to take the cheesecloth off for the last pressing. My thinking was, the cheesecloth is always embedded in the cheese and I have to cut off the edges and etc. Why not just put it back in without the cloth? Because....   the curds stick to the follower and the bottom and the sides and it is impossible to get it out without completely destroying the hoop. But it really was a great cheese to that point. I have sort of learned the texture it is supposed to be so that it is the right texture when it is through aging and this one was perfect. (with no ph testing you learn alot about bad batches) So I borrowed a neighbors vacuum sealer (i got that idea here), cut the deformed hoop into wedges without the gaps, and just vacuum sealed a couple of the wedges and was going to let the others dry out a little before sealing. I normally dry 3 days and wax. Just thought I would experiment on an already messed up batch. The cheese was very nutty tasting (cheddared 2 hrs) and we had fun eating the scraps from my cutting.

Baby Chee

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
I was curious if a person could make a huge cheddar with small pots by staggering the whole processes.  The stacking goes in shifts, etc., and then you just dump it in the mold and press bit by bit until you have a 50lb. wheel or so.

FarmerJd

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »
Ok, I am posting some pics of Saturday's batch of cheddar. Nothing interesting except I am taking it from cow to press.