Author Topic: Hello from London!  (Read 3270 times)

handyface

Hello from London!
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
I've been reading this forum for a fair while, but this is my first contribution!

Currently i've got a 2 month old cheddar, 5 small camenberts, 3 cambozolas and some halloumi lurking in various fridges.

I'm hoping to make my first proper blue vein cheese soon - hopefully I can end up with something close to Stilton!

I've documented most of my cheese-related exploits at http://handyface.wordpress.com, so feel free to have a look and let me know what you think!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Hello from London!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »
Welcome.

Looks good. When cheddaring, you really should keep your curd slices warm throughout the entire process - generally 90F or so.

Good luck on the Stilton.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »
Welcome and congratulations on waiting 2 months on your cheddar! I always have a hard time waiting. :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
Welcome, I like the tricolor sandwich cheese! Are you in London England?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:22:25 AM »
Welcome Handyface. You got some interesting cheeses there. I've never even heard of Wensleydale but I am always trying new cheeses.

justsocat

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:12 AM »
Welcome Handyface!
Your cheeses add colors to the life :)
I raised some blue mold on a ray bread and now waiting  for it grows in my first blue cheese. Hope I'll get something looking as good as what is shown at your pics :)

handyface

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Thanks for the tip Sailor Con Queso - I had wondered about temperatures during cheddaring.  I tried cheddaring once in a seed propagator which kept the temperature around 30C, but the curds ended up really sticky and quite messy.

Yes i'm in London, England - living in South East, but work in the City.  I have some access to raw milk through local farmers market's, but due to the expense and intermittent availability I pretty much just use standard milk.

I'm really curious about creating my own moulds, as i'm trying to keep everything as "natural" as possible ... will have to do a bit of research!  Also trying to find some information about thistle rennet so I can make my own, but not having much luck!

handyface

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 05:12:47 PM »
I've signed up to twitter now too, where i'm trying to do some real-time cheese-making!

http://www.twitter.com/handyface

Currently attempting another stilton-esque cheese after the last one was taken over by white mould :(

Tea

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Good morning Handyface and welcome to the forum.  SOme interesting cheeses, and lots of learning going on.  First time though that I have seen cheese dipped in hot water and smoothed?  Interesting. Anyone else done that before?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:32:03 AM »
I've read several references that suggest spraying with hot water and then rubbing or scraping out imperfections.

handyface

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »
The hot water tip came from Katie Thear's book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheesemaking-Dairying-Making-Cheese-Yoghurt/dp/0906137330/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256571421&sr=8-5).

It smooths the solidified curd out nicely!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »
I would think that dipping in hot water might cause a little harder rind. That could be a good thing if you want to keep the cheese moist.

Tea

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »
Interesting, thankyou you pair.

mentaljen

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
Hi from London, are you a fan of british cheeses? Or do you prefer french?

handyface

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
My favourite cheese would have to be Stinking Bishop, a washed rind cheese similar to Epoisse.

British cheeses are very nice indeed, but sometimes you just can't beat a bit of real camenbert :)

By the way - are you a fan of the Mighty Boosh?