Author Topic: Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Matt

  • Young Cheese
  • **
  • Posts: 18
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:54 AM »
I am allergic to Penicllin, but can eat Brie with no ill effects.
The Brie recipe l have seen specifies spraying the Penicillium Candida on the outside of the cheese and warns if allergic to Penicillin to stay away.
Anyone else have experience of this, does this mean no Brie making for me  :( :( :(


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline Alex

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Haifa,Israel
  • Posts: 732
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
Re: Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:02:34 AM »
Hi Matt,

I am allergic to penicillin too. I've never seen such a warning. I make Camembert and Brie adding penicillum candidum with the starter culture (it doesn't have to make any difference). Untill now, it had no effect on me, both, home-made and store bought.
Alex-The Cheesepenter

Offline Matt

  • Young Cheese
  • **
  • Posts: 18
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »
Thanks Alex, didn't want to make some Brie and then keel over or worse end up in Hospital.

Offline Bryan

  • Young Cheese
  • **
  • Location: Spain
  • Posts: 10
  • Cheeses: 1
  • 'Tetilla' from Lugo Galicia Spain
Re: Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
I believe the warning you are referring to is during the process of fine misting the mold onto the unmolded cheese.
The fine misting needed to lightly cover the cheese allows the pennicilin to be ingested by the sprayer it is at this point the warning of do not inhale is applicable.
As stated earlier adding the mold in the early stages should not be a problem again avoiding any inhalation of the mold.
Happy cheese making
'You can't scare me I've got grandchildren'

Offline DeejayDebi

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Connecticut
  • Posts: 5,804
  • Cheeses: 95
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Making Brie and Allergy to Penicillin.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
I am also very allergic to penicillin and asked the same question awhile back. Apparently it's a different strain so it "shouldn't" bother us. I tried my first Brie with an epi pen standing by just in case. Didn't even get choked!


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.