Author Topic: Light lime smear on Camembert...  (Read 2181 times)

Baby Chee

Light lime smear on Camembert...
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
I am having trouble with my penicillium... at the moment it seems as if there is a very light streak of yellow/lime on the white.  Is this anything normal or am I getting some cross contaminants in there?

I'll try to post some pics soon.

Here...

The new, big cheese looks ok:

I am not sure if the lime color is the curd under the mold just looking lime to me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:29:46 PM by Baby Chee »

FRANCOIS

Re: Light lime smear on Camembert...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »
I can't see the lime in the photos, but based on your description and the condition of the rind it is most likely fluorescent pseudomanis contamination.  Is this raw milk? 

The cheese in the photos either wasn't drained enough or has been aged in too humid of an environment, possibly both.  Coincidently these conditions will also bring out the fl. ps. contamination.  Besides the color your chees ewill also have an off -taste and texture if it gets out of hand.

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »
No raw milk--store bought, pasturized.

It might be too moist, but I can't be sure.  There is no humidity gauge.  They might have been too moist before depositing in the cave.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:50 AM »
I can't really tell from the photos but I have noticed myelf double checking the  cheeses because the rind where the white mold is thinner looks like a green mold when looking in electric light.

Baby Chee

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
These newer Camemberts started out very well, but it was like the fuzz didn't stop and they became sorta bloated with wrinkled white folds which then consumed the cheese or made it look so by making pronounced edges and concave sides.

They are in my fridge now, wrapped in foil, and make everything smell funny.

My older one looks like a proper Camembert cheese, aside from a slight bald spot imprinted from bamboo matting. That one looks and smells properly like Camembert.  Maybe these new ones will level out and smell more like Camembert soon (they are 3 weeks old).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:08:21 PM »
Sounds like my first crottins. After leaving them alone for the past two weeks I came home and they turned to mush. Looked like lumpy chicken gravy!   :P

Baby Chee

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
Your post made me look again today... they are sorta deflated.  Not good.  The shells are strong but the insides are probably runny.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
Interesting cheeses. You never know what they are gonna do.  :D