Author Topic: Brevibacteria linens - From Hands (Without Inocculant)?  (Read 2334 times)

Zoey

Brevibacteria linens - From Hands (Without Inocculant)?
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »

If I got it right, it seems b.linens are present on our skin, and just rubbing the cheese with our hands traditionally inocculated the cheese. Did I get this part right?

So assuming I would want to try this, how would I manage? Should I wash my hands thoroughly to get rid of any contaminants, or would that also wash away the b.linens? Assumably I can't just go touching the cheese with dirty hands, but what kind of washing would still allow for the b.linens to exist?

Do I understand correctly, that while trying to maintain the b.linens, it's pretty much impossible to ensure that it's the only think present in my hands?

So, assuming you haven't voted against me and I'm still doing this, do I just dip my hands in the brine, and then wipe with my bare hands over the cheese? I assume that's what it means? Is the cheese supposed to be left wet after washing, or should I wipe it dry?

Probably pretty newbie questions, but since no one really talks about these things...

linuxboy

Re: Brevibacteria linens - From Hands (Without Inocculant)?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
Hi Zoey,

This is a challenging process because there's no way to ensure that you're only inoculating with b linens. I also doubt that b linens is on everyone's hands. It is more prevalent this time on year, though. A more consistent approach would be to inoculate the brine or take the rind of an existing cheese as the inoculant.

Alex

Re: Brevibacteria linens - From Hands (Without Inocculant)?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
I always inoculate the milk, then wash the rind. The result is a beautyfull redish/orange rind.