Author Topic: Another large cheddar  (Read 3065 times)

FarmerJd

Another large cheddar
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
Ok i made another large cheddar (23.5 gallons raw milk) today and applied some of my new understanding from this site. First I tried the flocculation test with the bowl to estimate my cutting time. I was kind of uncertain about the exact timing ( is the bowl really that hard to spin now?) but finally decided that 9 minutes was the right moment and then I used a multiplier of 3 (is this right?) and waited another 27 minutes before cutting.

I normally have been waiting 45 min so 36 was a little earlier than normal but the curd was definitely ready to cut. Next, I have been concerned about the next step because it takes me about 15 minutes to cut the curd on a 24 gallon batch. So I always wonder do i let it rest or not since some of it has been resting already while the other half is still waiting patiently to be cut. So today I constructed a homemade curd knife (definitely worth a good laugh if you saw it but it worked) which made cutting the curds a 10 second job and then waited 10 min before stirring.

I am not sure which change made the difference, but the curds were very uniform and just seemed perfect. Everything after that just went great.

One other change I made was exchanging my heating element from a 220 volt to a 110v. I really have to watch the temp closely with the 220v but with the 110v today it heated the milk perfectly without ever having to turn it off. I just plugged it in and it raised the temp about 1 degree every 5 minutes.

I am finishing the cheddaring right now. Is there any test besides acidity (no ph tester) to let u know when it is time to stop cheddaring. I have always done it for 2 hours but this cheese is doing so well I just don't want to mess up now. Thanks.

linuxboy

Re: Another large cheddar
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
Sounds like you've made some key improvements. Hope this is your best cheese ever! :).

Cheddaring is all about pH. You can actually predict the quality of cheddar by the PF ratio (protein to fat, optimal for cheddar is .96) and the pH levels during the make.

If you don't have a way to measure pH, cut off a piece from the curd slab and dunk in 180F water. If the cheese stretches, it's time to mill and salt. Stretching starts around 5.4-5.5, and that's just about the perfect point to mill the slabs and salt them.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:33:03 AM »
Alright, you're teasing us Farmer. Show us your curd knife (harp).  :D

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:14:17 AM »
Linuxboy,

thanks for the info. Several questions:

1. Is the PF just a product of the milk quality or some aspect of the process. My milk comes from mostly a jersey with very high cream (6% or better) but i think my solids are down this year overall due to their feeding habits etc. (This is a subjective feeling I have from the fact that my milk seems to be making less curds form the same milk amount.) I really can't know my pf without some kind of commercial testing process, right?

2. How does cheddaring too long affect the cheese as far as texture and taste?

3. Occasionally I have a cheese consistency that is very grainy right out of the press. By grainy, I mean that it mushes a little. It's like the exact opposite of the squeaky rubbery feel. It actually melts great and has been one of the family's favorite to cook with. Any idea what might have happened there?

4. When milling the curd slabs which in my case are 5x5 inches and about 3/8 inch thick by the time I mill them (they started out 1 inch before stacking) what size curd cubes am I shooting for. 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch? 1 inch? bigger?

Sorry to bombard you. Not everyday I get to talk to a real expert. :)

Sailor, My daughter is looking for the camera. I'll try to post it tonite. It is a combination of electric fence wire, part of a wire freezer basket, and sunburn on the back of my neck. ;D

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:55:13 AM »
Here is the curd knife. hard to see in the pics.  ;D

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:40 AM »
oops!!! :-[

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 03:58:17 AM »
Most people go with 2 harps - 1 vertical and 1 horizontal. Harps that have both tend to just push the curds around instead of getting a clean cut. I thought I found a cheap solution a while back - plastic "egg crate" ceiling panels. Perfect 1/2" cubes would have been great if it had worked.

Stainless fishing line works well.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 05:45:39 AM »
Linuxboy,

thanks for the info. Several questions:

1. Is the PF just a product of the milk quality or some aspect of the process. My milk comes from mostly a jersey with very high cream (6% or better) but i think my solids are down this year overall due to their feeding habits etc. (This is a subjective feeling I have from the fact that my milk seems to be making less curds form the same milk amount.) I really can't know my pf without some kind of commercial testing process, right?

Yep, protein to fat ratio varies with the lactation cycle and feed. It's determined about half/half by genetics and feeding. In the summer time, during grazing, cows typically will eat less grain and less alfalfa. Also, when it's hot, all animals eat less in general. End result in the summer is lower fat, and slightly lower protein, which is great for most hard cheeses. If you feed 16-18% protein feed, the protein levels should be better. Jersey milk is terrific for cheddar, especially in summer. Your fat percentage seems fantastic, but might be a tad too high if you use raw milk for cheddar. Milk fat should be somewhere around 4-5% for cheddar, unless the protein levels are very high, such as feeding a bunch of alfalfa/timothy hay.

You do need to get a milk test if you want to determine the PF level. I can tell you how to do it at home, but it requires some lab equipment to do right. Kinda pricey.

If you're getting fewer curds from the same milk amount, it means your total non-fat solids, and possibly fat are lower. Basically, like you said, different feed, different yield.

2. How does cheddaring too long affect the cheese as far as texture and taste?

Have you ever had a cheddar where you bite into it, and instead of having a smooth bite completely, it's a bit crumbly, or when you break it off, it breaks off like the curds didn't mat well? Or a cheddar where it's a bit too sour and instead of tasting a cheddar bite, it doesn't have a balanced kick? That can be caused by cheddaring too much. Basically, too long of cheddaring means there's too much acid. This makes the curds not mat as well when you press, makes the final texture not as smooth, makes the paste/feeling not as plastic and combined.

3. Occasionally I have a cheese consistency that is very grainy right out of the press. By grainy, I mean that it mushes a little. It's like the exact opposite of the squeaky rubbery feel. It actually melts great and has been one of the family's favorite to cook with. Any idea what might have happened there?

Is it grainy when you mill and salt? Or does it become grainy after press? If the former, means you cheddared too long or used too much started and did not drain the whey fast enough. If it becomes grainy after press, but the curds were squeaky when you milled, means you didn't use enough salt, or the temps were too high when pressing, or the pH was too low when you milled, or you waited too long between milling and salting/pressing. Basically, means pH is a bit too low, likely around 4.9. It will still stretch, but be a bit more grainy. Your final cheese should not be bad, but likely will be more crumbly.

4. When milling the curd slabs which in my case are 5x5 inches and about 3/8 inch thick by the time I mill them (they started out 1 inch before stacking) what size curd cubes am I shooting for. 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch? 1 inch? bigger?

Well, you want the salt to penetrate evenly. That requires as close to a cube shape as possible for evenness, or the salt won't penetrate evenly on all sides. If your thickness is 3/8", then it should be 3/'8" strips or cubes. 3/8" is a good general size. 1" milled pieces are just too big for the salt to penetrate evenly and quickly.

Sorry to bombard you. Not everyday I get to talk to a real expert. :)

Sailor, My daughter is looking for the camera. I'll try to post it tonite. It is a combination of electric fence wire, part of a wire freezer basket, and sunburn on the back of my neck. ;D

You're too kind, but I'm more of a science geek who likes getting the right answer than an expert. Happy to share my experiences, though :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »
Sailor, i actually didn't show the other knife that i use. it is my horizontal cutter from a grill rack. This one is for the vertical cut that I have been doing with a machete. The horizontal pieces on the frame I posted were unwanted but hard to remove so oh well. This is not a final solution. Getting me by until I can get something better. You have to move it accelerate it very fast to make it work. :)

Linuxboy, the pieces are starting to fit together in my mind now. A few random thoughts:

I make my own feed and I try to keep it in the 16-20% protein range (peanut hay, corn and cottonseed meal and a lot of math). We try to time our calves to drop in fall because I hate milking in summer and I hate flies and I hate heat and mainly because I can control the taste of the milk easier. So all three cows are milked for about 6 months; hence winter cheesemaking. I'm not really interested in knowing the pf; just curious.

The jersey fat % number comes from the dairy statistics when I got her so it may be different now but comparing it with known quantities I think it is still that high. I have milked cows by hand since I was 7 and I can tell alot by the grease on my lips :) "Milly's" is really high. The other two cows aren't in the same ballpark so the average is I'm sure is a little lower than 6 when I mix it all.

The cheddaring answers really explain a lot about what's going on. I can look back and remember a time when I added twice the buttermilk and got a really grainy texture too.

FarmerJd

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
Question about drying and aging:

I used muslin for the first time instead of cheap cheesecloth and wow what a difference in texture on the surface. It actually is drying much much faster than usual. It is only 1 day out of the press but it is beginning to crack a little on the surface. I have read alot about olive oil or some other oil being used to keep the surface elastic on other cheeses but is that incompatible with waxing or vacuum pressing? I have really got a great wheel of cheese here (maybe best ever) and I don't want to mess it up. Suggestions? I do not have a 55 degree cave set up yet (always keep in frig in summer and cellar in winter but it is 70 degrees in there right now). So do i wax now and refrigerate til cave is ready? What about the lard and bandages wayne discussed? Any help is appreciated. Wheel is 8" across and 5 high and weighs about 15 lbs.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
Needs to dry a couple of days before you do anything. It may be cracking because your drying temp is too high. Don't wax. Go for a natural rind. After it drys, rub it down in olive oil and stick it in your cave to age. You probably can't wax after using olive oil. I age mine for a month and then vacume bag.

hplace

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23:40 PM »
I was kind of uncertain about the exact timing ( is the bowl really that hard to spin now?) but finally decided that 9 minutes was the right moment and then I used a multiplier of 3 (is this right?) and waited another 27 minutes before cutting.

If the flocculation point occurs at 9 minutes, and your multiplier is 3, then the total set time (time from adding rennet to cutting) is 27 minutes - not 27 minutes plus 9. Sounds like you could use just a tiny bit less rennet to get your flocculation point to 10 minutes and then the total set time before cutting would be 30 minutes.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:10:19 AM »
I love the cheese harp Farmer! If it worked good for you! We do what we gotta do to get the job done.