Author Topic: goat milk gouda  (Read 2344 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
goat milk gouda
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
Hello all:

I am about to embark on making a goat milk gouda similar to the 'caprikasse' or 'midnight moon' that some may be familiar with.  Any recipe suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Cheese Head

Re: goat milk gouda
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
Nimbin, welcome to the forum! Sorry, no recommendations, I've only made Gouda type cheese with cow's milk.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
Good morning Nimbin and welcome to the forum.  Any milk can usually be subsitituted when making cheese.  Goat tends to have more "flavour/acid" so maybe the use of some ash to soften the cheese might work in this case.

Just my two cents.

susanne

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
goat milk gouda will be white, if you like the look of real gouda, you might want to add anetto, which is a natural colorant for cheese. i used about 10 drops for 2 gallon of milk. now i just leave it white.goay milk does not change the flavor.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:48:34 PM »
Nimbin, some info on colorants/Annatto here.

sofrube

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I have goats and at times to much milk!! Do you feel that any changes to the recipes will need to be made when substituting goat for cows milk?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 05:50:30 AM »
Gday.  Ive been making my goat milk gouda now for about 6 months, although it isn't really a gouda.  I ended up using the tomme recipe from this forum and adding a washing step so the final cheese is a lot softer.  I'm pretty happy with it, although I was getting some bitterness which I have dealt with by adding some TA 60 series culture.  I was rubbing the rind with macadamia oil and coffee but have decided to drop the coffee.  The maca oil gives a lovely finish.  Thanks.