Author Topic: My first Camembert and some related questions.  (Read 2919 times)

memkuk

My first Camembert and some related questions.
« on: October 10, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
I started my first Camembert on 02-Oct-2009. Today, 10-Oct-2009, they have grown some nice snow-white mold.
Some questions though:
- Are they ready to be wrapped and moved to a less humid environment for further ripening?
- I used CHOOZIT PC Neige LYO to get the white mold by mixing it with water and spraying it onto the cheeses with an atomizer. How long can I keep the leftover diluted mixture in the refrigerator?
- As you may notice from the first two pictures, I made slits in my molds, using a Dremmel, instead of drilling holes. Being lazy by nature, I find this a lot easier to manufacture. Besides that the cheese slides much easier in the mold than when it has holes. Is it OK to do it this way?
- Last but not least: I'm not a native English speaker and I don't seem to be able to figure out how one differentiates between "mold" (the white stuff growing on the cheese) and "mold", being the form in which the cheese is formed/pressed.

Hope to get some answers from cheese makers, active on this forum, with more experience than I have.

Michelle

Re: My first Camembert and some related questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi Eric

With regards to the mold vs mold question.  In New Zealand we spell them both 'mould'.  But I work in the dairy industry and there we usually call the shape a 'hoop'.  But this doesn't always stop the confusion, sometimes you've just got to ask!  English is a strange language at times...

Tea

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
How long can I keep the leftover diluted mixture in the refrigerator?

That's a good question Eric.  I have sprayed on white mould myself, but never kept it, so decided to see if I could find an answer.  But even though I can find instructions on making the spray and applying, I can't find anywhere where it tells you the shelf life of the spray.

I would think though, considering that the mould is kept in the freezer, that it wouldn't have a long shelf life.

Hope someone else here know the answer to this question.

memkuk

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
Michelle, txs for the free English lesson. :) From now on I will use "hoop" to refer to the forming mold and "mold" to refer to the fluffy stuff.

Tea,
I would think though, considering that the mould is kept in the freezer, that it wouldn't have a long shelf life.
I was thinking along the same lines for the same reason that the mould (or mold... ;) ) is being kept in the freezer, but I also do hope someone reacts who has more exact knowledge about this issue.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
English its not my native language either.
I am used to mould as hoop, and mold, the other thing :).
After the cheese is fully bloomed, you may wrap it.
I never spray the mold, I inoculate the milk with it at the beginning. So you don't waste any expensive mold. The type I use is defined by grams/liters of milk.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »
Just to clear up some confusion maybe, whether you spell it "mould" or "mold depends on whether you live in the US or Australia/England.  Australia includes the "u" in the spelling, US leave it out.
Same for "color" or "colour" and numerous other similar words.  HTH

Michelle

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:32:30 AM »
Make that Australia/UK...and New Zealand!

;D

Tea

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
Yes my apologies, I remembered NZ after I posted this.  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »
It is very confusing. I have always understood the cheese forms or hoops to be the mould and the spores to be a mold and I am in the US.  ;D