Author Topic: Question about salted water and mold  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Aris

  • Mature Cheese
  • ****
  • Location: Philippines
  • Posts: 131
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Question about salted water and mold
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
Right now, i have a tupperware with heavily salted water in the bottom of my fridge to increase the humidity. I put iodized salt in the water because the water becomes stinky after a few days and i dont want bacterias growing in the water. Will the salt in the water prevent the blue mold from growing in and on my Blue cheese? Should i just use plain distilled water?



Thanks in advance,

Offline Sailor Con Queso

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Kentucky
  • Posts: 2,543
  • Cheeses: 128
    • Boone Creek Creamery
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
You should not use iodized salt. Kills or at least inhibits molds and bacteria.
A moldy Stilton is a thing of beauty. Yes, you eat the rind. - Ed
www.boonecreekcreamery.com

Offline Boofer

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Parkland, Washington
  • Posts: 4,246
  • Cheeses: 215
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
Seems like that's the point here...to reduce or eliminate the incidence of unwanted organisms in his humidity pool.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Michelle

  • Medium Cheese
  • ***
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Posts: 46
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
Yes, the salt shouldn't be a problem in your water container.  Only the water evaporates, the salt stays behind in the container and will not come anywhere near your cheese.  The humidity in the fridge will be 100% pure water.
Taranaki, New Zealand

Offline Boofer

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Parkland, Washington
  • Posts: 4,246
  • Cheeses: 215
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:41:38 AM »
I think the concern was that the salt was iodized and that would be harmful to bacteria. Like I said, you would want that so the humidity reservoir remained relatively free of nasties.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Aris

  • Mature Cheese
  • ****
  • Location: Philippines
  • Posts: 131
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
Thanks again guys, i really appreciate it.

Offline Sailor Con Queso

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Kentucky
  • Posts: 2,543
  • Cheeses: 128
    • Boone Creek Creamery
Re: Question about salted water and mold
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:47:02 PM »
Actually, a teaspoon of vinegar would do a better job than salt for warding off evil molds. Some molds can tolerate a little salt, but most can't handle a lower pH. I periodically wipe down the sides of my cave with a vinegar dampened cloth and I have yet to see a single unwanted mold. Of course I do a separate cave for my Blues.
A moldy Stilton is a thing of beauty. Yes, you eat the rind. - Ed
www.boonecreekcreamery.com