Author Topic: Sheep's milk - flavor, cheese flavor  (Read 16532 times)

hplace

Sheep's milk - flavor, cheese flavor
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:03:14 AM »
I've never tried sheep's milk. How does it taste? Is there any weird "sheepy" aftertaste? How many months can a sheep be milked before drying up? I have tried two kinds of sheep's milk cheese - one was a gouda and had no sheepy flavor at all. The other I can't remember the type, but was dryer and had a definite sheep flavor (like the flavor on the fat on lamb chops).

Do milk sheep need to be sheared, or do they shed their wool? What is the best dairy sheep breed for milk?

susanne

Re: Sheep's milk - flavor, cheese flavor
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »
i think for milking purpouse the frisian sheep would be the best. they do not have long lactations but believe they can be milked for five month?
milk and milk products should just taste like milkk if it was handled properly. so i guess it should not taste sheepy ;)

blackthorn

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »
Hi,
In the USA East Friesian or Lucerne dairy sheep are available and both are good for milking, EF's don't shed at all and Lucernes only shed slightly so both need to be shorn. I milk my best EF ewes for 8 months and the average ones do 6-7 months. If milk is well handled it has no 'sheepy' or 'goaty' taste at all, as a mater of fact it tastes like cow's milk only blander and creamier (or as my mum say‘s-just like a vanilla milkshake without flavouring!). Some people target the 'sheepy' flavour, I don't and all my cheeses are sweeter, nuttier and richer for using sheep's milk. And the yoghurt is to die for :)
Vanessa

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »
Thanks Vanessa I to have been wondering about sheeps milk. I may have found a source for it.

cmharris6002

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
I would love to have a few milking ewes one day. Thanks for the info on the Friesian and Lucerne.

blackthorn

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »
Be warned-I think I've totally butchered the spelling of lucerne ;)
Vanessa

hplace

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, Vanessa! I need to find a source so I can try some.

Minamyna

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
This is a great place to read about dairy sheep!

http://www.sheep101.info/dairy.html

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 04:08:13 AM »
Interesting link Minanyna thanks!

Minamyna

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
Yeah I googled it  ;D I thought it was pretty cool. My dad really wants me to make manchego (spelling?).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
AH Manchego! You will enjoy it - it is one of my favorites. It's really good smoked too.

Minamyna

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »
You have to make it with sheep's milk you think? Have you tried it without?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
I have not as of yet tried sheeps milk. I know of a place a fe whours down the road that sells it but haven't had enough drive to spend the day driving to get it. I have made it with cows milk and part cow part goats milk and it was great stuff.

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »
I love sheep's cheese! Especially young Pecorino. (simple one with truffles is amazing, and I am usually not into cheese with foreign objects in it...). There is a local farmer who makes a Manchego and strangely enough, Sheep's Mozarella and Sheep's Valençay (sitting in my fridge right now!) He also does courses but they seem to be beginner's classes which are also very expensive.

I have been looking for months now for sheep's milk to try my own and just yesterday I found it. As it turns out, my local raw milk co-op now offers it from one of the farmers that also has cows. The price is $19/Gallon ...yicks!!!! So, I couldn't afford to mess this cheese up people! Any idea for what's a good first sheep's cheese? I am dying to make my favorite: Brebirousse d' Argental. Amazing cheese. I am making Cows' Reblochon now so I don't think this one is out of reach...
Advice anyone? What should I know?

Minamyna

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »
Yeah! Takes lots of notes and pictures so we can see how you do it!! A)

I am sorry I have no advice, I made 3 small wheels of cheddar last night with st martin molds, wooden followers and c clamps from my dad's shop (washed and oiled with olive oil). Obviously I am a little behind the curve....