Author Topic: Sheep's milk - flavor, cheese flavor  (Read 16526 times)

iratherfly

Re: Sheep's milk - flavor, cheese flavor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »
So this was a sheep's milk cheese you made?
What's a st martin mold? How big is it?
How come you oiled your cheese so quickly? I thought the practice is to wait a few days until it's dry first. Again, not a sheep's expert

Minamyna

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
No it was cows milk cheddar, and I washed and oiled the clamps from my dads shop so there wouldnt be metal fragments and wood dust in the cheese ;)

St. martin mold is tiny, like 3.5 inches around, I have since heard its bad to press hard cheeses in small molds because of the rind.

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
Hmmm... you may want to re-consider making cheese in such environment. It is very prone to contamination.

As for the mold - I think you meant Saint Marcellin. The tiny cheese that is often sold in clay dishes. You made Cheddar in these? That would be one tiny cheddar!!! I guess it wouldn't dry because of the oil but it would probably mature faster.

rty007

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
I am a newbie here, I know. But let me tell you, that our polish oscypek has a very distinctive taste due to the smoking process, yet it is a very, very good cheese and pretty too.

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »
Now that is one cool cheese! It's even PDO status in the EU! Would love to taste it. I have never seen such process before (the scalded sheep's cottage in a decorative press and entire aging is done in a smoker? Whoa!)

rty007

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »
Yes it does have a PDO status

the "smoker" is really a hutch designed for that sole purpose, they are hanged up high by the celling, where smoke has a tempreture of about 30C if I can remember it right. they are hanged in the smoking hutch after they taken out of the molds.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
Yeah I googled it  ;D I thought it was pretty cool. My dad really wants me to make manchego (spelling?).

Excellent in sandwiches. My Yorkie and I love it, but my wife can't stand the smell. What smell?  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Minamyna

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
What smell? ;)

rty007

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
Well I see that you have a "types" of cheese section on your cheese page. Under "O" there is "oszczypek" I can bet, that you meant our polish "oscypek" so If you want to, I can make a description for that.

Minamyna

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:37:43 AM »
You have to talk to the webmaster John about it, he is in charge of that stuff, just look in the introduction board I am sure you can message him.

And iratherfly-- it is a Saint Marcellin and I didn't oil my cheeses, I just dried and vacuum packed them. My learning curve has been very slow.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
Well I see that you have a "types" of cheese section on your cheese page. Under "O" there is "oszczypek" I can bet, that you meant our polish "oscypek" so If you want to, I can make a description for that.

I have tried translating that cheese and would be interested in seeing a description if you don't mind.