Author Topic: Why my mozzarella becomes yellowish after solting?  (Read 16201 times)

justsocat

Why my mozzarella becomes yellowish after solting?
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
Can anybody explain me, why  my mozzarella becomes yellowish after solting?
I've made second batch using described here recipe of 30 min mozzarella by MrsKK. I took microbial rennet produced by Meito Sangyo Co. Ltd. Japan
Everything went good during both attempts. Cheese was smooth and shiny. But after solting at saturated brain first time at room temp and second at 15C slight yellowish color appeared. I like how it tests and its good in pizza. But this cheese must be white, mustn't it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:16:48 PM by Pavel »

justsocat

Re: Why my mozzarella becomes yellowish after solting?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
So, nobody can help me? :'(

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
Is it yellow throughout the cheese or only on the surface? Does the yellow go away after a few days in the refrigerator?

justsocat

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »
It becomes yellow on the surface right after solting and the very next day it is already yellow throughout all the 600 grams batch of the cheese

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
The yellow color is brought about most often from milk fat. If the milk has too much fat (>2%), or you're using a cow that's been on pasture, the yellow shows through. Carotene is retained on the milk fat molecules, and that's what gives the yellowish color.

If it was just on the surface and went away, it could have been from the surface absorbing salt at a greater rate, but doesn't sound like it.

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
I use raw whole milk for my mozzerella and it always turns yellow after it cools. I guess that confirms what linuxboy is saying. I did not think about the carotene being retained only on the fat but that makes a lot of sense because my guernsey (higher carotene in milk) cream is the only part that is yellow. Duh. So I could make whiter cheese by using holstein milk or I could skim it, right?

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
Yep, if you skim you will get a whiter cheese. The color is all in the cream. Commercially, a fuller-fat mozzarella is made by separating the cream and then blanching out the color through heat (carotene is heat-sensitive and breaks down quickly above 200F), and then adding the cream back in, or the processor may add in a food coloring instead like titanium dioxide. I heard CHR Hansen recently came out with a cheese whitener additive, too.

At home, you can also control color through feed. Winter milk produced from dry hay/alfalfa and supplements tends to be whiter.

justsocat

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »
Thank you men. This confirms what i supposed. I  took raw whole milk from a cow that's been on pasture. I didn't make any measuring but surely a fat content was high. So I think in winter my mozzarella will be whiter or I'll skim the milk

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »
I always skim the milk when I make mozzerella for just this reason.  Besides, I like the cream for butter and ice cream!

Daznz

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:13:28 AM »
wouldn't full cream milk for mozz have more flavor than skimmed milked ?
If cooking on pizza it wouldn't matter if it was yellow lets face it fat means flavor  ;D

Daza

justsocat

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »
Yes, Daza, you are right it doesn't matter if cooking on pizza. And more to say I prefer everything as natural as possible with minimum additional operations if they are not  necessary.
I made a couple of batches of mozz just to find out what the influence on the colour of mozz has the temperature at different stages of this cheese making proses. First time I raised temp up to 55 C in the end of curd forming proses. Curd tended to form a solid  lump under the whey and a yellow colour appeared at this very stage.
Second time I made curd according to recipe but continued to heat mozz by adding hot water after it already stretches till it turned out yellow. That time I'd got strong yellow color as you can see below.

Daznz

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »
Great stuff Pavel , Nice photo ya mozz looks awesome how did it taste?
What culture did you use

Daza

justsocat

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
Nice photo ya mozz looks awesome how did it taste?
What culture did you use

Daza
I readdress ya congrats about photo to my wife. It's her who can take pictures so well. I've got much less of this skill :)
Mozz tastes creamy, but weaker than not overheated one. I used no culture at all. Just milk as it is.

mkaytanli

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 06:27:55 AM »
Hi Dear Cheese lovers,

Thank you very much nice commets about "Kaskaval cheese video " in my www.sutdanismani.com website. Kaskaval cheese is accutally orginated from Bulgaria. İf you want more info about kashkaval cheese. Please write me.....do not hesitate....

Regards,

Dr. Mert Kaytanlı-Milk consutant
www.sutdanismani.com[/color]]www.sutdanismani.com
mail: mkaytanli@gmail.com
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:45:22 AM by mkaytanli »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 06:18:37 AM »
Very nice looking mozzarella Pavel. I think the yellow makes it look pretty.