Author Topic: John, this is the year....I'm going to try a Cambozola.  (Read 11536 times)

Likesspace

Re: John, this is the year....I'm going to try a Cambozola.
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 11:54:16 PM »
Watching this thread closely, Tea.....
Good luck!

Dave

Tea

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 07:53:36 PM »
Update on these;  I finally decided on Monday to cut into one and see exactly what was going on.  Saddly the one that I cut had absolutely no blue going on in side.  I know that the mould must be working as one had the blue on the outside so not sure what is going on.  Talked to a friend who has done this one, and she experienced the same.  She said that the blue didn't start to grow until they were cut.
I also noted that the holes had closed up, so that is most likely why there was no blue.
Apart from that, everything else is going beautifully.

Likesspace

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »
Tea...
Can you try re-piercing the holes to allow air inside?
I've done a bit more reading on this type of cheese and this is recommended if the holes get sealed by the white growth.
Of course I have no idea if this is in fact a proper procedure to follow but it does sound feasible to me.
Hoping you find success and by the way....your comment about speaking quietly around these cheeses cracked me up. LOL

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 02:22:53 AM »
I read in several books that re piercing the holes helps make the mold spread because they need to breathe to grow. Funny how well they grow when you don't want them...  :D

Tea

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:02 AM »
Ok for the record I am going to re-pierce them.  Fingers crossed.

Dave, sadly talking quietly around them didn't work.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »
Good luck hon!

Bella

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:24 AM »
Hi Tea
Re the non-bluing of your cheese – this has made me think as I have had the same problem recently with a blue vein and the last three stiltons. There has been no sign of blue, either inside or outside the cheese, and I certainly did what I would call a thorough job of piercing. The flavour of the blue was there, but no coloration at all.

I wonder if there could be a problem with the mould – presuming you get yours from the same source as I do. Jes’ musin’
B

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
Blue mold likes high humidity around 85%, but it doesn't like to get it's "feet wet". So you don't want 99% humidity or any moisture collecting on the cheese. It also likes cool but not cold temperatures. That's why cheeses are traditionally ripened in caves.

Tea

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
Bella, most likely we do purchase from the same people, and I have been meaning to ring them about this, just keep forgetting to.  My friend rang them when her's didn't work and they sent her another bottle.  She put her's in the fridge like the bottle says, and when she rang they said that it should have been kept in the freezer.  Well I did that and it still isn't working.  So who know??

Sailor these have been kept in a cave for two weeks at high humidity.  I only transfered them back into the fridge for the final aging.  The one I cut was after they had been in the fridge for only a couple of days.  So I might pierce and put back into the cave for awhile and see?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
Yes, I know. My point - was the humidity TOO high? Molds also like a little salt sometimes.

Bella

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:26 PM »
Hi Tea and Sailor
I have just made a blue vein this morning, but it will be 3 months before I know if the mould has worked or not!! Interesting that there is another with a similar problem - three out of three - perhaps there is some issue???? I too have been keeping mine in the fridge (not freezer) as the bottle suggests, but the contents of the first bottle I had dried up. The second one (the one I used this morning) was really hard to squeeze any liquid out, and I had to make the hole at the top bigger to get it - very frustrating!

WRT the humidity issue, none of the cheeses I have made with this problem have been in high humidity - I have tried to keep it as close as possible to the recommendations.

It is very disappointing to get this result over and over again as my second to last blue vein was perfect (at least for my standards!). When I made the cambozola, that was one of the problems I mentioned in an earlier post, but didn't think for a minute that it could have been the mould - in my mind, it HAD to be something I did incorrectly!
B

Tea

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
Sailor my mistake, I didn't understand what you were asking.  I don't have anyway of checking exactly what the humidity was, but I know it wasn't too dry or running wet, and I did have some blue form on the exterior of one cheese, so all did look to be going fine.

Bella keep us posted on your lastest cheese.  Hopefully the blue will grow for you.

For the record I re-pierced the cheeses again yesterday.  Not sure that it is going to make any difference, but I can only try.

blackthorn

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
Hi tea,
Where do you get your ash? I'm Aus too and cheeselinks don't appear to have it? Do you make your own?
Vanessa

Tea

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Hi Vanessa, I purchased mine from Ricki Carrol's site.  I couldn't find anything in Aust.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/121-Ash.html

blackthorn

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
Thanks Tea, it's a pity no one is Aus has it, but I think there might be a company in NZ that do....
Vanessa