Author Topic: Milling with Honey...  (Read 8077 times)

Baby Chee

Re: Milling with Honey...
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Exactly: lots is added to cheeses, so honey came to mind.  I was eating gouda with honey last night and it was pretty darn good.  Woulda been better with nuts.

Are there cheeses with nuts inside?  I know they coat some in nuts.  There are all sorts of berries tossed into cheeses, and cumin is nice as well.  How about coffee grounds??  Cheese + Caffeine? ^-^;  Ok, I am getting sidetracked into strange choices.

But, imagine a cheese filled with chex-mix or pretzels!  Or CHOCOLATE or.... a KITCHEN SINK!

@___@ Ok, I'll calm down now.

Alex

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
So, pepper jack and sage derby...are these american cheeses, I haven't seen these before?  I'm guessing they include peppercorns and sage.  Are they hard cheeses or kind of like a gouda etc?

Pepper Jack is a cheese with hot peppers in it.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
Basically what happens is the high moisture in the jam/honey migrates into the cheese leaving a pocket of dried crap that may or may not have mold growing in it.  This pocket will also have some spoilage in it.  So basically you open up a wheel and find this gross area inside. 

Michelle

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
thanks for the picture Alex.

Michelle

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
And I hope you know I am just poking fun, not being mean about your ideas!   :D
I'm always worried that words can be misconstrued when written down on a forum like this...

mcbethenstein

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »
If you are looking for a cheese to add honey to, try mascarpone. I tried a mascarpone recipe with tartaric acid and it wasn't very smooth, so I mixed honey into it later. It was delicious. I'm thinking about that right now...Spread on top a slice of toasted healthnut bread (local brand: whole grain with lots of nuts inside), and topped with sliced strawberries. Simply amazing....

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 02:17:03 AM »
We made a mascarpone/blueberry pie with a ginger snap crust a few weeks back. Best dessert I've ever had.

Matt

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 10:10:11 PM »
Guys l'm from the UK and we have White Stilton with cranberries and another one with Apricots. Cheddar with Chives, another with leeks and White wine. The list is quite big and they all taste delicious.
I went to visit a commercial cheesemakers the other month and they do not add the fruit/vegetables until the cheese has matured as fermentation would occur if added at the start creating nasty flavours.
They basically put the matured cheese in a large scale blender add the cranberries etc and then repress.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
Okay  gotta jump in here ... hehehe

Is adding all this stuff to cheese making it better? Maybe it's just something different. I love cheddar but sometimes I just want to munch a curd or two with jalapinos in it. Is it better? When that's what I want to eat it is.

They use cheddar and honey to make dairy fudge aka chocolate cheese is it better? for a chocolate lover - probably - to me no. I am not a chocolate lover.

I recently bought some chocolate cheese, blueberry cheddar and cranberry jack cheese on my trip to the cheese state. I haven't tried the berry cheeses yet (I am still munching the jalapino curds right now) and I don't like the chocolate cheese but my family loves it so I will try to make it for them.

Experimenting is a good thing! Here's what the cheeses look like:

Baby Chee

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
You've cured me.

Cheese Head

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »
Matt, thanks for that info, now that is interesting and useful.

The commercial cheese maker that you ttoured was it also Stilton?

Matt

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
It was more like a cheddar. The leek and wine one tasted absolutely amazing added to mashed potato!  :D

This was the dairy.

http://www.cawscenarth.co.uk

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 02:27:28 AM »
Some nice looking cheese there Matt thank for the ideas. BTW what is a leek? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Alex

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:43 AM »
Leek looks like a big spring onion. Only the white portion is used.

Matt

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
This is a Leek  :)