Author Topic: Quicker Gouda Aging  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Quicker Gouda Aging
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »
Here's a european patent that examines the possibility of delivering aged Gouda before normal aging periods. It uses mesophilic and thermophilic cultures. It also introduces NANO3 (sodium nitrate) which is presumably to assist the microbial respiration. Better living through chemistry.   :D

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0281167.pdf

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Quicker Gouda Aging
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:17 AM »
There are a few cheeses now being made using sodium nitrate. Initially this was only used in a few Dutch cheeses like Herregaardsost but it's use has spread considerably in the past 10 to 15 years in Europe.

The article I found a few months back on Jarlsberg showed they found nitrates and the use of mixed cultures to be beneficial in some types of cheeses. The article reviewed several types of cheeses. I found it very enlightening.

Don't let the term nitates scare you - they are natually occuring in most root vegetables and the quantities are smaller than that which would be aboarbed from eatting a potatoe.

Offline fattyacid

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
    • Lark's Meadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
Sodium Nitrate is a bacterial inhibitor, to prevent spoilage organisms from getting a foothold-especially the Clostridium sp. My guess is this Gouda has a very high moisture content even for this cheese type and needs some extra protection from the NaNO3. Some raw milk cheese makers have used NaNO3 to prevent early and late blowing of cheese. Gouda, Edam and other washed curd type cheeses are prone to contamination via the wash water, Listeria is a major worry in large scale low temp wash curd production.
Whence come I and whither go I? That is the great unfathomable question, the same for every one of us. Science has no answer to it.
Max Planck

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
They age it at 18-20 degrees C.  Without the nitrates you will most definitly get late bloating and perhaps souring in such a high moisture cheese.