Author Topic: BIG Gouda!  (Read 7252 times)

FarmerJd

Re: BIG Gouda!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
I honestly had not thought of that. I am not sure how that would affect the type of motor in a ice cream maker but I will try to find out. My intention when I figure out the best paddle system and all other variables is to use stainless. I just don't want to go to the trouble until I use it long enough to know. Thanks sailor for what could be a great idea.

FarmerJd

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Thanks John. I had read that page but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. When you say I need more brine are you referring to the need for volume so that the salinity isn't decreased too fast or just to have enough brine to cover it? I just placed it in a 15 gallon crock that gave me 1 inch on either side so it fit snuggly and took less brine to float than in a bigger vessel. However I am wondering if there is enough volume of brine to hold the salinity over 2+ days. Thanks for the input.

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi Farmer, exactly, volume needs to be large to reduce dilution of brine and thereby better ensure right amount of salt uptake Rule of thumb is brine should be 5X volume of your cheese.

Also, there has been some discussion about side exposed floating above brine (similar to an iceburg). If I remember, member Fancoise didn't like sprinkling that side with salt as could lead to inhomogeneity, but in the Salmon Arm BC Gouda making video they shook salt on.

Also, there is some discussion here on using ~26% (saturated) vs 18-23% salt brine's to bath cheeses in.

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
Also, if you don't have enough volume of brine, I think:
  • If you are using saturated brine then shouldn't be a problem if you stir to dissolve the excess salt on bottom of your brine tank to maintain a saturated brine.
  • If you are using a reduced % brine, then you'd need a salinometer to know how much salt to add to keep the % correct.

FarmerJd

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
ok if that's the case:

volume of cheese = 6x6x3.14x5 = about 550 cubic inches

volume of 1 gallon of water = 231 cubic inches

therefore i need 5 x 550 = 2750 cu in which means almost 12 gallons!!!!!  :o This would be a reason to stick with my cheddars!!! Can i just add salt daily or something?

Oh well, the joys of learning.

Sailor, the rheostat is a no-go. It will lower the voltage and the motor will run slower but it is murder on the motor and will cause it to burn up. Back to the drawing board.

FarmerJd

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
I used saturated brine % so maybe it will be ok. Thanks again John.

Cheese Head

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
You are welcome, I used 3 US gallons brine on my last 6 US gallon milk Havarti, so our numbers look the same ;D.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 04:58:20 AM »
Farmer - I have a small greenhouse for orchids and hydroponics attached to our garage. The garage stays about 65F year round, so I use an 8" fan to move warmer air from the garage into the greenhouse during the Winter. I also use it to move cooloer air in the Summer. Right now it's 38F outside and I'm heating the greenhouse to about 60F for pennies a day.

I installed an in-line rheostat, a dimmer from Lowe's, to periodically reduce air flow. For example on a sunny winter day when the greenhouse is 75F, I don't want to cool if down with 65F air. It runs 24/7 when it's needed and doesn't seem effected by the rheostat. In fact, operating at slower speeds keeps the motor from overheating. I think it would work like a charm on your motor. Crank it down to say 10 rpm?

FarmerJd

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
Sailor, is your fan motor a true a/c motor or a d/c motor? I talked to an electrician and he said low voltage was just as bad as high voltage on an a/c motor (cause it to burn up/ overheat). He could be wrong i guess and I am tempted to go ahead and try it since i can pick up a new motor at a thrift store and that would definitely be a simple solution. I think most ceiling fans employ d/c motors so that they can vary speed.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 04:15:02 PM »
As far as I know, it's a true A/C motor. The specs from Lowe's say nothing about D/C.

Lowe's Duct Fan

My fan motor has been running with the rheostat for over 2 years with no problems.

FarmerJd

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
I did some research online. I may try it. I will let you know if it works. Thanks again.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 04:36:19 AM »
Nice looking gouda Farmer! Good job! If you have a way to refrigerate the brine water you can reuse it a few times. Just a thought.

FarmerJd

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
I am freezing the brine and using it frozen to keep my cave cool, swapping out the gallon jugs every day until i get my cave setup. Waxing this gouda and a cheddar tonite. I bought some Gouda yesterday and a Havarti. Don't laugh but this was honestly my first time to really taste test the two especially Havarti. I have eaten them before but cheese has always been cheese and I love it all. They were both great and got me really excited about my big Gouda. They also had the 1000 day aged Gouda that John posted but I couldn't spend the dough!

Sailor I went to a restaurant supply shop to get an immersible thermostat for my tank and while there I asked about the rheostat on an ice cream motor and the guy there (designs and builds all kinds of restaurant equipment) said that he would try it but keep the voltage above 60% of the max. He said even though it technically would overheat, it might take ten years to burn up the motor. Thanks again for the tip. By the way, the thermostat was $90. I couldn't do it. I have to save for the ph tester first; then the cave thermostat, then the swiss cultures; more rennet, drain table,... it's kind of weird to ask for these things for christmas. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
Hey JD I asked for bactoferm sausage cultures for Christmas a few years ago. Why not? It's what you need/want. No different than a kid asking for car orplane models - it's just an eddible hobby everyone benifits from.

FarmerJd

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 01:28:52 AM »
At the top of my list is a medieval-looking chain hoist like Wayne!