Author Topic: Pepper Jack photo essay  (Read 3130 times)

mcbethenstein

Pepper Jack photo essay
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »
This was my third hard cheese, and I wanted to document it for my friends and co-workers. So I thought there might be others who would like to see as well. I know the experienced cheesemakers out there definately know all these steps well! First photo: sterilizing cheesecloth. Second: warming to 90deg. Third: Peppers after boiling...the drained liquid is already in the milk. Fourth: Cheese pots in their hot water bath letting the rennet work.

mcbethenstein

Re: Pepper Jack photo essay
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:46:58 AM »
Fifth: Looking for a clean break. Sixth: Cut Curds. Seventh: Let set for 5 minutes. Eighth: Stir gently during heating.

mcbethenstein

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »
Nineth: Curds "cooked" to 100 deg and held. Tenth: Draining the curds. Eleventh: Salting. Twelfth: Mixing in the peppers

mcbethenstein

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 01:54:27 AM »
Thirteenth: Putting curds into mold. Fourteenth: Full mold. Fifteenth: Pressed pepper jack. Sixteenth: Pepper Jack after the first flipping.

mcbethenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:57:11 AM »
Seventeenth: Drying with my white cheddar cranberry. Eighteenth: Waxed and in the cave... Now I just need to wait a few more weeks to cut into it!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 03:41:34 AM »
Great looking cheese! What kind of peppers did you use and were they very hot? You said you boiled them. Did you just pour the peppers and water into the curds after draining or just add the peppers? Just curious because I have read others on her have done several different ways and I am thinking of trying this too.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »
Everything looks fine.
I would recomend NOT to boil the peppers, just wash them thoroughly.
I use to dry my Pepper Jack about a week before waxing.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
I agree Alex. Boiling isn't necessary and makes the peppers soft. Just wash really well in hot water.

mcbethenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Well, here's the deal. At that time I hadn't found this forum yet, and I just had my copy of Ricki Carrol's book (2009 edition). There is no variation in there for pepper jack, so I looked at her other variations for jalapeno cheddar and followed the steps to prepare additives for that. I chopped, very finely, 2 jalapenos and 1/3 of a sweet red pepper (there were no serranos, or red jalapenos available so I used the red bell pepper mainly for color). Boiled them on the stove for 10 minutes maximum, and drained the liquid, which I added to my milk BEFORE heating. As I was checking for a clean break, and perhaps you can see on the photo I could detect small particles (perhaps some capscacin) in the curd. I then added the peppers themselves during the salting/milling stage. I did not reserve the whey for anything. Since I brushed the wax on (I've since bought a pot for the wax to dip) I was concerned about mold under the wax...(I couldn't tell if the spots were the peppers or some mold) so last week I cut the wax off to check. Sure enough if that isn't the best smelling cheese! There turned out to not be any major mold, so I cleaned it and re-waxed two days later after letting it dry a little more. I am really excited to try this one, even though I only made it to satisfy my coworkers!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
I have not added liquid back in on mine. I'll have to try that.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:46:19 AM »
They look very nice hon. I like the colors it really makes them yell out PEPERJACK!