Author Topic: UHT Goat's Milk  (Read 9867 times)

Tea

UHT Goat's Milk
« on: June 28, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »
I have used UHT cow's milk before and have made cheese.  So I decided to buy some UHT goats milk, as I have been unable to get my hands on fresh goats milk.
Well I have absolutely no success at all with this milk.  Could not get the milk to set at all, and it didin't even get to a yoghurt consistancy.

Was wondering if anyone else has tried UHT goat's milk.

Tracey

Cheese Head

Re: UHT Goat's Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
I've drunk plenty of UHT cow's milk when I used to work in Yukon and NWT in northern Canada when young but have never used it or UHT goat's milk for making cheese . . . I just checked my books, Ricki Caroll in Home Cheesemaking says it's good for making soft cheese . . . Tim Smith in Making Artisan Cheese says it's "a sterile product that can not be used for cheese making" (:( sorry).

Tea

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »
I made some feta with the cow UHT, and while not great it was successful.
The goat UHT was an utter disaster, and an expensive one at that too.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:03:36 PM »
Sorry, in your OP you said you've made cheese with UHT Cow's Milk before and it worked out well.

That's good to know as many people live in places where fresh cow's milk is poorly available and thus unreliable.

Sad on your UHT Goat's milk, yes an expensive flop.

FYI there was a bit of an interesting discussion on Ultra-Pasteurization here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:19:13 PM by Cheese Head »

Tea

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:36:58 AM »
Ok an update on this discussion.  Found some store bought processed goats milk, so thought I would try that.
Made some yoghurt, but it did little more than become  more like a drinking yoghurt.
Tried to make feta, and again couldn't even get a curd to form.
So for the time being, I am going to give up on bought goat's milk.
Frustrating.

reg

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »
Tea, everything that i have read says to stay away from any type of UHT milk products for making cheese. if it says UHT on the package i just don't buy it

reg

Heathers

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
I've made some cheese with pasteurized and raw Goats milk and even then I had a hard time getting a clean break. It takes much longer than cow milk. I add the Calc. when I use goat to assist with curd development.

And yes, using UHT is bad for cheesemaking because it destroys too much healthy bacteria that you need for cheese making.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
I have also read somewhere recently, that rennet is not successful at setting UHT milks or milks that have had a very high pasturisation method applied.
Interesting.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:44 AM »
Tea, I've read that you really need CaCl2 to held get a good set with goat's milk, did you use it with your UHT goat's milk?

Tea

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:06:45 AM »
With the raw goats milk that I had, I didn't use anything, and I would say from memory that the set was just as good as the usual raw cow milk.  I don't remember being disappointed with the curds.
I don't have any of that, and I have never used it either, so personally I don't know.

Heathers

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
When I use pasteurized goat milk I add calcium to aid in curd formation. The curds are very soft.

Tea

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »
I have also noticed that it is added to yoghurt also.  I have wondered if it was used to improve the set of the milk.
I have been contemplating buying some and adding it to my next batch oh yoghurt and see what the difference is.