Author Topic: Cheese storage boxes  (Read 2639 times)

Bella

Cheese storage boxes
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
For those not lucky enough to have a cave large enough to ripen cheeses, plastic storage boxes are usually employed to do the job.

When I first started cheesemaking, I used to buy boxes at supermarkets, but the problem was that they were all different sizes and fitting a draining tray into them was mostly impossible. In recent months, I have switched to a system which comes recommended, particularly for those starting out.  I sure wish I had discovered this at the outset for it would have save lots of $$$$$ and certainly a great deal of frustration.

Many of the posters here have presented pictures of cheese vats using Gastronorm pans, most of which have been the 1/1 or full size pans made of stainless steel. These pans come in different depths, 65mm, 100mm, 150mm and sometimes 200mm. I have a number of these pans, and on one these (65mm) I have had a drain welded in a corner for draining cheeses like camembert and brie. I attach a plastic hose to the welded pipe and it drains straight out into a bucket. I also have a perforated 1/1 pan for draining curd in a cheesecloth, and this is placed on top of the drain pan.

The 1 / 2 steel pans are also useful for a host of other cheesemaking tasks, and I have four of these, 2 x 150m depth, one of 65mm depth and a perforated pan for draining curd when the volume of curd is less than would be used for the 1/1 pan. 

I also have a range of 1 / 2 plastic pans which are used for storage, and I find the 65 and 100mm cover most cheeses I make, but I have 150mm depth for stilton. These pans can take heat up to 100C, and have lids which can seal if required. (See attached information showing pans plus sizing)

I have a set of 1 / 3 plastic pans for storage of smaller cheeses such as camembert and brie.

But the really great thing about this system is the draining capacity. Each size has a plastic drain tray which fits into the pan, and I have cut plastic matting to sit above them as the slits in the drain tray can make an impression on the cheese. The chrome cake cooling trays that are available at hospitality suppliers also fit these pans, but they tarnish very quickly, as I found out to my cost, and these plastic ones do the job perfectly. There are also stainless steel drain pans available to fit, but I find I use the plastic ones for preference, and only use the 1 stainless tray I have when I run out of the plastic.

The 1/1 and 1 /2  pans and drain trays also hold bamboo mats comfortably, 2 in the full size pan and one in the smaller pan.

The draining items can be used in either the stainless steel or plastic pans, increasing the versatility of the system.

For those Aussies interested in investigating this system further, I can recommend Paul Bazelmans at Food Untensils (FoodUtensils.com.au), and in other countries, I am sure that there would be a catering and hospitality supplier who would stock these items.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Cheese storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:52:10 AM »
Very nice plan. I to have bought probably hundreds of bowls, pans and other containers over the years for various cheese steps. This looks like a great idea Bella - Thanks!