Author Topic: Aging Cheese in Fridge  (Read 2784 times)

driekus

Aging Cheese in Fridge
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
Hi All,
Please forgive the silly noob question. Im geting into cheese making and looking at making some blue and white mold cheese. My only question is the aging of cheeses. I have my general household fridge where the vegetable crisper stays at a nice 10C and was planning to use this. However since humidity and bacteria is not optimal I was planning on aging the cheese in a tupperware container with a drain at the bottom. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Tea

Re: Aging Cheese in Fridge
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »
Hi Driekus, short answer, yes you can use the fridge to age cheese.  I usually use an esky cooled with ice, @12C in which I get the cheese to bloom first, then I wrap the cheese and transfer into the fridge for further aging.  It can take an extra week or so at the cooler temps for the cheese to age properly, but at least I don't loose the cheese due to too warm temps.
HTH

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
Hi Driekus-if you are lucky enough to have your fridge at ~ 50 degrees you are half way there. The moisture can be controlled in a tupperware container with moistened paper towels or other various ways.

driekus

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Although the condo is small, luckily the fridge is one of the fancy types where you can change the temperature of each compartment. This will make cheese making a lot easier, at least until I get into the swing of things and get more serious  ;D

Now to start planning my first cheese, going to start with a Mozarella, Feta then move up to the Brie and Blue's mmmmmmmmmmm Stilton (they really need a drool emoticon)  :D

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:36:23 AM »
dreikus, good luck with Moz, many people have a tough time, me included, I think Mrs KK's procedure is best.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
I had one of those fridges and it worked well for aging cheeses for years. Good luck!