Author Topic: Aging Blue Cheeses - Tips & Tricks?  (Read 2050 times)

Daznz

Aging Blue Cheeses - Tips & Tricks?
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:26:56 AM »
Hi
I'm looking at making a blue cheese tomorrow I want to store it in
a plastic container is there any tips or tricks I should be aware of when ageing this way

Thanks Dale

Cheese Head

Re: Aging Blue Cheeses - Tips & Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:09:04 AM »
If I remember correctly, my blues were very moist cheeses so initially gave off a lot of moisture. therefore make sure you let it breath well through cracked lid and soak up any whey-water as mold doesn't like to grow when it's feet are in water.

Daznz

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:40 AM »
Thanks John is it ok in a cave with other cheeses with the lid a little bit open ?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
Tough call, hope others can reply, I suspect you are going to have to have the lid open alot in the early days. If you go for it definatly don't touch the blue and then the others!

Tropit

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
Those blues!  They're always getting into everyone else's business.  They're the nasty gossips on the block!

I take my "blue" container out of the cave every morning, open it and let it air AWAY from the other cheese.  The mornings are cool enough, so as to not worry about things getting spoiled.  This allows the cheese to breath fresh oxygen, dry out a little and keeps it from getting slimey.  I also make sure to wash my hands thoroughly before handling any other cheeses.  In fact, I usually attend to the blues last.