Author Topic: Ash Brie  (Read 11415 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Ash Brie
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
I don't know for sure as I have never used ash but carbon is a good filter maybe the hints od ammonia are being filtered by the carbon dust?

Tea

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
Maybe that the reason, I don't know.  As I am doing the Blue/White with some that don't have the ash, it will be interesting to see whether one has a stronger smell then the others.

Tea

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
Felt the edges of these yesterday, and they are starting to feel a little soft.  More waiting.......

Tropit

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
I also have had problems with cam/brie ripening early and for me, once the mould is formed, I transfer into the fridge to help slow this process down.

Tea ~ I've also had that experience.  Have you found that lowering the temp helps slow down the aging?

Also, I did some cams with ash a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding that the skin is now slipping.  I'm not sure why...maybe too moist?  I would think that the ash would keep it relatively dry.

Tea

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
Yes I transfer to the fridge to slow down the final ripening stages.  It might take a little longer, but I find I have more control of the cheese.

Yes ash is supposed to help draw moisture from the cheese, which I think is my problem with the brie, they are too dry.  I have only done two batches with the ash, so I haven't yet encounted this problem.  I would say though, that the curds were not drained for long enough, if slippage is occuring and you have also used ash.

Tea

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »
An update on this cheese;  I cut a small wedge from one and although the paste looks and smells wonderful, I do think they are too dry to ripen any further.  I am though going to leave longer just to see how they develop.
Next time I make this I am going to leave as one cheese and not divide into two. 

Likesspace

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:58 AM »
Tea,
Did you have interior bluing on the sample wedge?
Just curious since I plan on giving this a try once the weather turns a bit colder here.

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »
Okay Tea.....I admit it, I'm sometimes dense...
I thought this was the white and blue thread and NOT the ash brie thread.
Forget I said anything. Act like I never posted. BUT...
If you did get bluing on this cheese let me know your secret. :)

Dave

Tea

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
No saddly I didn't get any blueing on the brie either.  I thought that this mould was supposed to be the killer of all moulds, and I just can't get it to grow.  sigh  I wish I could tell you my secret.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »
I have two comments:
1. Castello is UHT and UF, so you will never duplicate it exactly at home.

2.  For blue brie you  need to grow the blue first for 3-5 days (don't add p. cand to the milk), then spray p. cand on and let the white grow. Be sure to pierce after ash has been applied.

Tea

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »
Many thanks Francois for this information.  Next time I will leave before spraying, and I did pierce after ashing.  Alex was saying that you should re-pierce a couple of times to encourage the holes to stay.  Would you agree/advise that also?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
It wouldn't hurt but realize that the number of piercings corresponds directly to the amount of blue in the cheese.  A blue brie is normnally quite lightly veined.

Tea

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
I noticed that they didn't appear to have a lot of blue in them.  When I cut into mine, there was no evidence that they had been pierced at all, which was why I was thinking that maybe a second piercing might encourage the holes to stay open long enough for the mould to grow.

Many thanks for your advice.

Tea

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
Well I am back to trying this again.  Made two 8in wheels again.  Wanted to make one, as I think that they end up too thin, but I just couldn't get the curds into one mould.  Over filled two mould actually.  But as usual with this cheese, settled to around an inch thick.  So they have been brined, and then I decided to put a little ash in the middle on one cheese, and put the other one on top.  I am hoping that the two cheeses will meld together, sandwiching the ash in the middle, and thus, also giving me a thicker cheese.

That's the plan, though whether it will work or not, we will see.  Have gone back to a humidity box, as I think it retains the moisture better, and thus a softer cheese, than leaving it open in a larger space.  I am though, going to open the box every day, and make sure that I have a good transfer of air, in the hope of not getting too much of the dreaded ammonia smell.
Once again, fingers crossed.  Will update pic later.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
I am though, going to open the box every day, and make sure that I have a good transfer of air, in the hope of not getting too much of the dreaded ammonia smell.

Good idea! The smell when I came back from vacation was awful! Luckily it went away after leaving them open - but I almost threw it away thinking there's no way that could dissipate!