Author Topic: The terrors of Tall Cheese...  (Read 5082 times)

Baby Chee

The terrors of Tall Cheese...
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »
So, if I were to build a mold that is 8" diameter and 18" tall, would pressure be an issue with getting so much curd dried out?

Let's assume I fill the curd up to the top, then apply 100 lbs.--would it take longer to get the whey out of such a cheese than an 8" mold with 6" of height?  Is there compensation needed?  Are there reasons cheeses are squat and wide rather than tall?

Just thinking about cheese.  As usual.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: The terrors of Tall Cheese...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
That is a good question and one would assume so depending on the type of cheese. The only "tall" cheeses I have made are provolone, asiago and muenster (sandwich style) and they don't need much pressure. You also have the sheer weight of the curds pressing themselves as in the case of the muenster just fliping one cheese mold over the other is heavy enough in most cases. I did made a gouda shaped muenster once and did add a small weight of about 2 pounds to the follower.

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »
Yeah, the curds to push down as well, weighing harder on the whole deal.  Hmmm.  I'm just trying to figure out how to make a larger mold and press large amounts of cheese.  Thus I can make one huge Gouda every month or two instead of smaller weekly cheeses.

I'd love to have 8" diameter x 14" high cheeses.  At least until I make a 10"+ hoop and a level press.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
Remember that as the diameter goes up a little, the volume goes up a lot.

For example: 7" wheel that is 4 inches high holds 153 cubic inches. An 8 inch wheel that is 4 inches high is 200 cubic inches. That's a 33% increase with one inch. That means 33% more milk. A 8"x14" tall wheel would need almost 5 times as much milk as a 7"x4" wheel.

The reason I mention this is because I made this mistake myself early on and had a 12 inch stainless steel hoop made! I just thought I'd use a little more milk and fill it up. I now make 20-24 gallon batches of cheddar and still can't use it. The wheel would just be too thin. I did use it successfully this week for the first time in 8 years of having it because I made a gouda which I guess has a lot more moisture content. It wound up being about 4-5 inches high after brining. i am looking for a 10" piece of pipe myself because that seems to be about the right size for my gouda batches.

You sound like you are after the same thing I am. It takes just as much time to make a 24 gallon batch as it does a 1 gallon batch. Why not do it, right? ;D

Baby Chee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
Sounds good to me.  I'm looking at doing 15 gallon goes or 30 gallon goes... or anything in between 15 and 30 because of all my brewing kettle.  Goudas and cheddars primarily, but gouda is so darned simple and lovely.

I've got a nice 10" stove pipe/vent pipe I can use for large Stiltons once I get that right, but that's sans weight of course.  3 or 4 15 gallon stiltons a year would be excellent along with 6 15 gallon goudas/cheddars.  10 days of cheese instead of 52.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:16:23 AM »
Have you checked out Ulmers yet for moulds? They have some nice used stainless ones pretty reasonable. I got 6 of mine from them and I know Wayne got a few as well. Nice people.

http://www.ullmers-dairyequipment.com/cheesemolds.htm

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »
Great link Debi. I may call them tomorrow.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:34 AM »
They do price matching as well.

Baby Chee

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
I've just enquired about the 10 1/4" mold.  That would be a great cheddar/gouda mold.  Probably gotta make a follower. 

Just had a good idea about how to make a minimalist fulcrum press I could pursue.  Something that can be propped up on a wall when unused and broken down.  I just priced it up: under $20, all stuff from Lowes or Menards or any hardware store.  8 2x4s 6', 8 Bolts, a paving stone.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:31:25 PM by Baby Chee »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:37:16 AM »
I believe Wayne has the 10-1/4 inch posted here somewhere. Ithink it came with a follower but I'm not sure. Maybe he will spot this. I've got the 8x6, the 3.75 x 11.5 and 4 of there 450 gram kadovas. I se the 3.75 as a holder for salami casing to while I stuff them. Works great for 4 inch casings.

Baby Chee

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »
Through email they said it has no follower.  For $100 shipped, it's just a rip to me.  I'm going to try a ss serving/double boiler pot for $39 and just drill holes in it.  The dia. is 9.33" and it is 11" tall.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »
I think I only paid like $50 for the 8x6 which is a lot bigger than you might think after pressing a cheese. You have to see the quality of the steel to understand the prices.

Baby Chee

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
Yeah, I assume this mold will rarely be filled, but I have a couple 15 gallon pots I can use at the same time to cook the curds.  A simple cheese like gouda might let me do 25 or so gallons at a time and load the mold up, getting a 25 lb. (approx) cheese at the end.  It would be good to have 3 months of cheese every time I make it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
If you think you need a 1 gallon mold today buy a 2 gallon mold for tomorrow.