Author Topic: Expensive and Inexpensive large cheese molds...  (Read 10597 times)

Baby Chee

Re: Expensive and Inexpensive large cheese molds...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »
If lactic acid really wears a hoop, I can see why it was never used.  But, commercial use is far, far more frequent than what I am looking for-6 times a year.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »
It's not about the wear it's about the aluminum leaching into your cheese. It eats the metal so where does it go? Into the cheese!  :o

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
It's true that aluminum oxide forms on the surface of the aluminum, and it is resistant to corrosion. Actually, that's sort of how stainless works, too. Stainless is treated (passivized) with nitric acid or other means before being put into production, which oxidizes the chromium and protects the underlying metal. And you're right, it is because aluminum is so much softer that using utensils on it would scratch the coating off.

In theory, lactic acid at room temperature is only mildly corrosive to aluminum oxide. It is drastically more corrosive at higher temps. Aluminum oxide is also not digestible by humans and passes through. Given all that, you will still get some aluminum leeched into your cheese. I don't know how much. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that's the science behind aluminum materials with lactic acid.

Baby Chee

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
Add that to the pressing action forcing liquid out of the cheese, and aluminum pots used as large molds might not be so bad.

Sure, for constant use you want something more durable and less reactive to lactic acid in cheeses.  For a hobbyist, it might not be an issue.

I'd never use aluminum for liquids sitting static over long periods of time, though.  There is a definite taste, mild as it is, that comes from liquids contained by aluminum for weeks, months, years, etc.

MrsKK

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
Also keep in mind that there are people that are severely allergic to aluminum.  So, you wouldn't want to serve such cheese at a party or give it away as gifts, just in case.

I once had a landlady that almost died due to her allergy to aluminum.

Tropit

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
How about plastic food grade buckets with holes drilled in them?  We have a salad dressing comany near by that throws away their used 5 gal. mayo buckets.  My husband took away dozens of them to make plant protectors for his garden.  Now why wasn't I thinking?  These would make for great cheese hoops!  I suppose that if you don't have a factory near by, you can always buy the buckets at a food manufacturing supply. They're probably cheap.

wharris

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
I agree with what Deb said earlier.  It won't last.  It will split.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
If they're free go for it. They may last longer than we think, so when they split, just replace them. At least you're keeping them out of the landfill for a while. I love recycling things like that.

FarmerJd

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
It depends on the bucket. Some are so cheap they will not take it; others will. The ones you buy are not as good as the ones that detergent, etc. comes in. Sam's sells washing powder in a bucket (maybe called Fresh Wind?) and it lasts longer than most. Just a personal observation. I sit on them every morning when I milk and some last years, and others days or day. No comments about the pressure exerted by the one sitting are necessary. ;D

Baby Chee

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
That SS Bain Marie looks good, is inexpensive, and I was able to drill the bottom before one specific spot melted two cobalt drill bits.

That spot must be imperfect metal.  All other holes were going like a hot knife through butter.

FarmerJd

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »
That looks like a great job you did. Are you going to put any holes on the sides? I have considered putting some on the side of my pvc 10 inch hoop but was worried about the cheese not sliding out easily since I press under so much weight. Curd might protrude through the holes. Is that your press under it?

Baby Chee

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
Thanks Farmer!

Yeah, that's the base of my press.  Other pictures are in another thread....

I have to drill 4 holes and insert bolts, then do two side supports from the back to base.  And it's ready to roll.  Oh, I need a pipe to put through the arm for weights to hang on.  Tomorrow I'll do all except one side support and the pipe.

Do you think the container will work as a mold with only bottom holes??  I melted two drill bits on some incongruent spot on the Bain Marie, so I'm getting nervous.

FarmerJd

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
I have no holes on any of my hoops but when I flip the cheese I have to pour whey off the top. it just manages to seep underneath the hoop and out around the top of the follower. I think I would try it like you have it first and see. Others might disagree because it seems like everybody has holes in theirs. Good luck!

Baby Chee

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
Thanks!  I think I will dry my last bit and see if I can just ring the bottom, but will then go your way and see how it work.  I didn't know you can press like that!  Sounds fine, if it works.  That's a great piece of knowledge to have: I thought holes were a must-have on molds.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »
Looks nice Chee you done good!