Author Topic: Cheese, yum. Hello from Michigan!  (Read 1285 times)

BlackWillowFarm

Cheese, yum. Hello from Michigan!
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Hello from Michigan,

We love milk, and cheese so much I bought my own cows.  Ha ha, it's true!  I get 6-8 gallons a day and we use it for everything.  Milk, cream, butter, and lots of cheese.  Plus I have a few shares out to friends and we also use it for our chickens, pigs and dogs and cats.

Six years ago when we lived in the city, I had no idea that today I would be living in the country, milking cows and raising my own food. It's hard work, but very worth it.  I wouldn't change anything about it except I wish I could quit my job and do this full time.

I've been at this for a little over a year and so far am running about 60/40 on good vs not so good to eat cheese.  I hoping to improve that to 100%.

I've made some mozzarella, cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheddar and colby.  So far I'm having the best luck with the colbys.  I use all fresh, raw milk from my cows for my cheeses.

Looking forward to getting to know you and to making great cheese!  ~Carla~

FarmerJd

Re: Cheese, yum. Hello from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »
Welcome aboard Carla! Your farm sounds alot like mine. What kind of cows do you have? I know what you mean about the 60/40 ratio. I would love to hear how you have success with Colby. I am sure you will enjoy this board as there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:49 PM »
Good morning Carla and welcome to the forum.  Here is definately the place to learn were you are going wrong with your cheese.  Love the names of your cows too.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Sorry, I just noticed your signature. Jersey girls. Are you milking all four?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »
Hi Carla, welcome to the forum, lots of good people here!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
Welcome Carla and congrats on the farm! One of my dreams as well. Do you take notes on your cheese making? We might be able to help you figure out what didn't quite go according to plan.

BlackWillowFarm

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:41 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm milking two Jerseys and raising two little heifer (girl) calves to be future family milk cows.   I'm slowly learning the ropes of cheese making and making my fair share of mistakes along the way.  I've taken notes on some, but most of the time I haven't.  I can't sit still long enough to write things down.  ::)

I'm hoping I can learn to make my own mother cultures and perfect a few good cheeses, then move on to some more complicated ones.  Gotta get the simple ones figured out first though.....