Author Topic: Big Cheddar #4 of the season  (Read 3369 times)

FarmerJd

Big Cheddar #4 of the season
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »
Gradually implementing more corrections to my process and posting here for whoever cares. I am assuming that there are a lot of others like me who scour this site looking at old posts, consulting the recipes, etc. every time they make cheese . So maybe something here is noteworthy.

22 gallons
1 quart buttermilk (too much - I thought I would have 24 gallons when I measured all the additions and then "Milly" stepped in bucket". Cats thankful.)
2 tbsp rennet dissolved in 1.5 cups water. (too much - thought I had 24 gallons)
2 tsp color dissolved in 2/3 cup water  (too much - thought I had 24 gallons)
2/3 cup pickling salt

Next time:
1. I am going to try to reduce rennet amount because every time I am getting a flocculation time of less than 10 min. Today less than 8.

2. I am tinkering with color amount now. Bottle says 2-5 ml per 26 gallons but that is very little compared to what I have used before. I see that everybody's recipes on here seem to call for "drops" (Wayne's used 240 drops I think). I was hoping to avoid counting to 240. ;D Anybody have an opinion?

Brought milk to 90 and added culture and color and stirred and then waited 30 min.
Added rennet and tested with spinning bowl (at 8 min and used 3.5 multiplier) and then cut curd at 28 min and rested curd 10 min.

Began stirring and heating to 102 in 45 min. This went perfect this time. Held at 102 for 75 min and drained curd.

Let curd set for 20 min in heated cooler then cut into slabs and stacked. Flipped every 15 min for 1.5 hrs and then milled curds into 1/2 inch cubes.

Salted curds and let them set in salt for 10 min and then pressed for 30 min at 3 psi, 1.5 hr at 6 psi, and 22 hrs at 14 psi flipping at every change.

Will dry 3-4 days and wax for 2 months and then vacuum seal.

Changes this time:

After discussion on here about stirring I was motivated to redesign my stirrer. I reduced my paddles down to 2 and cut those 2 in half. Major difference in amount of "curd dust" Hardly any present at draining time. Very pleased with stirrer now.

I also made a muslin "bucket" to press the curds in (saw that on here). Very effective. I highly recommend. Reduced the amount of wrinkles and wadding up tremendously.

Overall went very well today. I have to say that this forum has been very helpful to me. Thanks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Big Cheddar #4 of the season
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »
I think I used 1/2 teaspoon for 7 gallons last time for a nice bright orange colored cheddar.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »
That would mean I am in the ball park. Thanks Debi, and are those summer sausage? I need a good recipe. Is there one on your website or other suggestions?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:38:08 AM »
No that's smoked lactic acid fermented pepperoni from my last batch.

I have a sausage eBook with 92 of my favoritw sausages/lunchmeats in 3x5 card format but not Summer sausage. Several different types of salamis and snack sticks though.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SausageDownloads_files/RC-Sausages.pdf

also a handy sauage making chart:

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SausageDownloads_files/SausageCharts.pdf

Herb and Spice Weights and Measures chart – US and Metric weight equivalents teaspoon, ozs. and grams. 

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SausageDownloads_files/SpiceWeights.pdf

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:05:14 AM »
Wow! busy girl!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:29 AM »
Did I say I was a chart and data freak? I make everything into eBooks. Working on a cheese recipe eBook now.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
My bottle delivers 20 drops of rennet per 1/2 teaspoon.

FarmerJd

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
Just took it out of press. A little lopsided but weighs 13.5 lbs and the color is just about right. It usually gets darker on the rind than inside. I really like my cloth bucket.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »
What cloth bucket??? I guess I missed that.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
Very nice looking cheese JD!

Salor -

The cloth bucket is a sack to put the curds into instead of loose cheese cloth. His is in a bucket hence "cloth bucket." Someone ... Tea maybe? Sorry if I got this wrong ... showed hers in another thread and JD made one for his bucket.

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:27 AM »
Sailor, I use the 5 gal paint strainers from home depot/lowes over a food grade bucket. The strainers have a stretchable top, and they are less prone to stick to the cheese. The bucket bag with cheesecloth is a similar idea, just using muslin/cheesecloth made into a curd bag instead of nylon bags.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »
Great idea.

FarmerJd

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »
I probably picked a bad name in "cloth bucket" it's just that it looks like one. i picked up a lot of really good muslin today (20 yds)and made another one. I posted a pic. It is just a bag really but it is custom made for my hoop so that the seams are along the rim of the wheel. If someone wants one I could probably make one and send it. (I don't want to be swamped here so I may be overcommitting)