Author Topic: Questions about CF.org mozzarella recipe  (Read 2116 times)

riha

Questions about CF.org mozzarella recipe
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »
If anybody's made mozzarella with the recipe in CF.org website you can probably clarify a few points there.

How do you drain the whey that appears when cooking the drained curds? I pour it out but I'm constantly afraid that my curds fall off while doing so.

At the same step you're supposed to turn the curd. How do I do that? It's a big lump of curd. I assume I break it into easily turnable pieces.

Since I don't have a pH meter (and they don't seem to sell accurate enough strips in the local pharmacy) I am going to just test if the curd spins. Any advice on how to know if my curds are over or underacidified? I made a batch with a different recipe that didn't come out very well but I couldn't actually tell if I should have waited more or less.

Tea

Re: Questions about CF.org mozzarella recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »
I haven't tried that particular recipe, but it is very similar to the one that I make.

As to draining the cheese, I drain and flip the cheese at the same time.  I just tip the pot over, catch the curd on my palm, lift the curd to allow the whey to completely drain, then place the turned curd back on the bottom of the pot.  The curd doesn't actually leave the pot.  In my recipe you drain and flip every 15 mins to keep the curds evenly heated.  As the curds have knitted into one mass, it should be very easy to just flip over the whole mass.  Don't break the curd into small pieces.  The curd is cut into small strips for spinning.

As to the ph of the curd this is critical, and personally I have refused to make another mozz without a pH meter.  I have used pH paper strips, but they are too inaccurate, and sometimes I hit the mark perfectly, and sometimes I miss, and I too don't know whether the pH is too far, or not far enough.  Ebay has some pH meters, or a local brew shop.