Author Topic: Funny Holes in Farmhouse Cheddar  (Read 3779 times)

girlsrockmovie

Funny Holes in Farmhouse Cheddar
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »
Pulled this farmhouse cheddar out to test because it seemed to be swelling slightly, and discovered these zillions of little holes. It tastes ok (let's say edible), though rather sharp. And texture is a bit chalky. Any idea what could cause it to look like this?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Funny Holes in Farmhouse Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
Underpressing or contamination. Farmhouse should not have holes.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:08:36 PM »
Because the holes are mostly round I'd say gases cause by some form of contamination.

The long flat ones look like a drop fracture. Could be  pressing if there was a delay between putting the curds in. If they cool to much between layers they will do that also. Phone calls while making cheese can be a PITA for that.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
my guess would be some contaminant.

girlsrockmovie

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
Thanks y'all! So I'm guessing just more rigorous sterilizing is the solution? This was first time with press, so it's possible that pressing was an issue in addition, but I think contamination sounds about right.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:47:32 PM »
If you make sure everything you use is clean and sterile including spoons, knives, and surfaces you set them on you can eliminate that next time. Keep a jug of sanitizer handy while making cheese and you can keep everything in there that you use.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:44:57 AM »
Ideally the starter bacteria should out compete and contaminants. Did you use a commercial starter or b uttermilk or yogurt? You might not have added enough starter. Read the suppliers instructions carefully. Talk to them. You don't want to add too much either. Good cheese is all about balance.

girlsrockmovie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:29:44 AM »
We used the mesophilic starter from cheesemaking.com, and followed the directions in her book. I'm beginning to think after reading some posts here that we'd be better off trying one of the many recipes making the rounds here. I'm not sure I totally trust the pressing weights and such in her book.

Anyway, thanks for the sanitizing tip too, I definitely haven't been that rigorous!

Arne

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »
The holes are contamination.  The cracks, texture and flavor are caused by over acidification.  Either you added to much culture or let the milk ripen too long before rennet.

girlsrockmovie

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Well, we followed Ricki Lake's instructions to the tee, so as I mentioned before, I think its time we branched out. Would a little more salt help with the acidification problem? The cheese definitely doesn't taste very salted. In fact, we sprinkle salt on it when eating, tastes much better...

FRANCOIS

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
Yes, salt will help reduce acidification.

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
Final cheese should have at least 1% salt (usually closer to 2.5%), unless it's a fresh cheese. Cheeses don't age right if you don't use the correct salt amount.

girlsrockmovie

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
I've been doing 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons of milk as per Ricki Carroll. Not enough? What's a higher amount I should try?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 03:35:02 AM »
These holes happened to me at an Halloumi and it was the bread yeast contamination. I am not cooking bread the same day I am making cheese anymore.

hplace

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »
I got a "sponge" gouda when I mixed in a pot of milk that was supposed to have been cooling overnight in a refrigerator outside but turns out the fridge was off (long story). It was raw milk, so whatever natural gas-producing bacteria come with raw milk had quite a party in there. The gas production started about an hour into pressing and the cheese expanded quite a lot. I could see little bubbles coming out on the surface of the cheese when I flipped it. There was no yeasty smell like bread dough - just a strong buttery smell.

Anyway, I put it in the brine once the whey pH hit 5.2 in the press and tried it a month later. Much to my surprise, it is very good - no off flavors, texture is still a bit tough, but not bad at all.

Were you using raw milk? Did you make stirred curd, or milled curd cheddar?