Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #1  (Read 11015 times)

Cheese Head

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #1
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:41:28 PM by Cheese Head »

tonipas

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:06:40 PM »
but can you think to make mozzarella at home?
I would like to see.........
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:36:43 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe - #1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »
OK tonipas, took me 1 month but yes I did make Mozzarella using this recipe, and you can see the records and pictures posted here.

Tea

Re: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #1
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »
Well mozzarella has been my nemphis, but... I finally made it yesterday. Yesss  ;D

The recipe that I used is almost identical to this one with a couple of minor changes. 

1. My recipe said to turn the curd every 15 mins, pouring off the excess whey each time for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

2.  To check it the curd is ready for stretching, cut off a small piece of cheese and put in the hot water.  My recipe said 70c.  Allow the cheese to heat up and work it with you thumb and forefinger  then try stretching.  If it is elastic, then it is ready for the next step.  I found that it was best to do this in the water, don't take out the cheese.  Also they recommended using thick gloves, and it is easier to work with your hands than spoons.

3.  When cheese is ready to stretch, cut into very thin pieces and place into water.  I found that the water needed to be brought back up to 70c, so I left the cheese in the water while it heated, which also heated the cheese sufficiently.

4.  Mine went into an ice cold water bath first for 1 hour, then into a 20% brine solution.  For a 10lt cheese it said brine for 4 hours.  As I used 5lt (incase it didn't turn out again) I soaked for 2, but for me it is too salty, so probably could have soaked for 1hr.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:33:08 PM by Tea »

Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
I made this before, but I couldn't get my curd to stretch.  I am wondering now, whether I had the water hot enough, and whether I left the curd in long enough.  As I didn't have gloves I too worked this with two spoons, so not sure that I worked the curd enough.
Anyway, just stoked that I finally made it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »
Looks good Tea, my only try failed and I haven't tried again as not too fond of Moz anyway (except as sliced with tomatoes. My understanding is it's all about the pH. I also burnt my fingers trying to need it without gloves, I tried oven mits made from silicon but that didn't work at all. Good to see your success!

Tea

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »
Made this again yesterday, if for no other reason but to prove to myself that I could do it again, apart from the fact that the kids had polished off the first lot, and it worked fine.  Bought myself a pair of thick gloves, and I was able to work the curd beautifully.  Not sure how long the curd is to be worked for, but it was lovely and stretchy, and stretched to almost a yard in length, and still held together.
So happy  ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »
Well congrats, you must have really got the pH in the right spot!

Tea

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
Well I didn't check the ph on this lot.  Did with the last (first) batch, and even though I had the correct ph I was still having trouble getting it to stretch, which is why I think that the correct temps while trying to stretch is just as important.  I remember what the cheese should stretch like from that batch, and when the second batch was stretching like the first, I decided to put all the cheese in and have a go.  So I guess by default, I had the correct ph.  I only have papers, so I am by no means getting an accurate ph level, just a general reading.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »
In my book it says that provolone is mozzarella with lipase added and matured for a few months, during which time the cheese becomes firmer and develops a stronger flavour.  No other instructions.

So I have made this and wrapped in plastic and am storing in the esky.  The cheese is fairly moist, and I was wondering should it be stored unwrapped?  There are a couple of spots on it that look like they might be mould starting, so I am going to get some brine into them.

Just not sure if I am doing this right, and any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Reg, if I can get this to work, I am going to approach my butcher and ask if he will smoke a couple for my when they next smoke. Hoping they will oblige.

reg

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
morning Tea. cold smoking your cheese is easier than you think. you could rig up a cold smoker out of a cardboard box if you have to. let me see if i have any photos here then we can get them posted for you to see

reg

Tea

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
That would be much appreciated thanks.

Tea

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »
Reg just checking in with you about the provolone.  When I checked yesterday there is a fair amount of moisture coming off it.  That didn't happen with the mozz, which was just wrapped too but stored in the fridge.  Is that normal?  I have put some kitchen paper down to soak up the drips.  Doesn't smell off or feel slimy, just moisture.

reg

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
morning Tea. have never made any of the Italian cheeses yet but i would think that the moisture dripping off would be normal. seems to me that they tie and hang provolone to dry.

will look it up in one of my books later and get back to you

reg

Tea

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
Oh Ok, my mistake, I thought you had. 
I do remember seeing a provolone hanging in a photo that I've got, but I would have to wrap it in something I think, as I don't think it would hold it's own weight at the moment.
Thanks for the info though, I will have to look into this.