Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #1  (Read 10983 times)

reg

Re: Mozzarella Cheese Recipe #1
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »
pretty sure they hang the provolone in cheese cloth. i do love provolone

reg

Tea

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »
I decided yesterday to get the provolone out of the plastic wrap, washed the outside, and gave it a brine wash, and covered it in cheesecloth.  As it's form is already set, hanging it will probably break or crack it at this stage, so have left is in the esky on a rack.
Still smells fine with the lipase smell just prevalent.  The outside feels a little firmer this morning with no feel of wetness.
Hopefully it will continue well drom here.

reg

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:55:49 AM »
good stuff, can't wait to hear about the outcome

reg

Tea

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »
The most frustrating part in all this is we only have, for the most part, store bought cheeses to compare our's with, and most of them are commercially made processed stuff.
I bought some provolone to try a couple of months ago, and it had less flavour, I would venture to say almost no flavour, than my mozz, and was very soft and milky.  Very disappointing I thought all round.  So not really sure what the end product should look like.
Checked my provolone this morning and the outside is starting to get a drier rind to it.  Of course I realise that I brined it again, but I guess I am not really sure just what I am shooting for.
I would think that a smoked provolone would have a drier harder rind than usual, right?  Maybe the cheesecloth that I am wrapping it in should be moistened to keep the outside softer???
Any help would be much appreciated.

reg

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »
morning Tea. i think that mozz and provolone are two different cheeses, at least that is my experiences. i had the opportunity to try a home made provolone right from Italy that was pretty impressive. hard rind on the outside comparable to the Alpine style cheese and the inside was semi soft i guess i would call it. flavour was definately provolone, outstanding actually. they told me how long it had aged but i really don't remember. think it was in the 9 month time frame. they told me the rind was rubbed with oil every so often

this winter im going to try my hand at it.

reg

Tea

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:37 PM »
Well I only have one recipe and it said that provolone was mozz with the addition of lipase and matured for 2 or more months.  So that is what I have done, but from there it doesn't tell you how to store it, or it a rind forms, or anything.
You said that the rind was rubbed with oil?  I am asuming that would be olive?
With summer comming on I am hoping that I can reach at least the two month mark before the cave fails me completely.  Otherwise I might put it in the fridge and see if I can age it longer in there.

reg

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
yes that was olive oil that was used but im assuming that any oil would work. i believe the theory behind the oil use is two fold, sealing to keep out unwanted mold growth and second trying to keep the rind from forming deep into the cheese. this is just a guess though. who knows it could also be used for flavouring

reg

Tea

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
Thanks Reg, I wasn't sure that I wanted the flavours of EVOO so I used light olive oil.  I haven't done this before so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Tea

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:40 AM »
oops here is what happens when you handle camembert cheeses, before attending to the other cheese first.
Also even though this has been wrapped and oiled it is drying at an uneven pace.  There is a crack on the underside of this cheese.
I have reoiled and left open at this stage, but I may end up having to use this cheese, if it looks like it is not going to age well.

Tea

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »
After not quite a month of aging I decided to open the provolone yesterday, as I was not sure it was doing what it should have been doing, as I have nothing here to compare it with.
Was really pleased with the results, the rind was chewy, not hard, but that would probably have come with more time, and the cheese was a completely different flavour to the mozz, which was also encouraging.  The cheese it's self was still quite soft, and pliable, with a lovely even consistant texture.  This one was a definate crowd pleaser.
Next time I am going to measure and weigh the cheese before I age, as I am positive that it has shrunk and lost weight with aging.