Author Topic: a here to for unsolved cheese problem.  (Read 3121 times)

vogironface

a here to for unsolved cheese problem.
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »
I call upon the vast experience and knowledge of this vast community of cheese heads to help solve the worlds oldest and yet unsolved cheese problem.

I have yet been unable to properly age any cheese due to the fact that is consumed before the proper date.  I have thought long and hard on the subject and have come up with 3 solutions.  I put them out for serious (or not so serious) debate among this community.

1)  Make cheese far more often.
2)  Make larger batches of cheese
3) wire my jaw shut.

The first 2 options on the surface appear to be viable solutions.  However, it is yet untested if my copacity to create or my capacity to consume is the greater.  If t is the later then I run the risk of severe obesity and health problems related to a 100% cheese diet.  The third option would also seem to solve the problem, but since I have a severe dislike for food in a straw, and since cheese technically could be liquidized (easy cheese in a can) then I am not so convinced of the success of this route either. 

This is a cry for help.  Your debate and suggestions may just change the course of cheese making as we know it.

Thanks

Alex

Re: a here to for unsolved cheese problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »
I would suggest two options:

1+3 (with limited control on 3)
2+3 (with limited control on 3)

Another example: Use belt, suspenders and stand on your head. This way you'll never lose your trousers. 100% proved.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
 :D Funny Alex!

vogironface -

I would make bigger batches and/or cut what you have made in half. Then you can steal one and leave the other alone. I make two cheese per batch for that very reason. I have a hard time getting past the 6 month stage. Althought I do have a few really old ones 4 and 5 years old.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »
I usually open a cheese at 60 to 90 days. (Gotta be sure it's OK you know ;)). We keep half out. I vacuum bag the other half and put it right back in the cave to age longer.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:29:26 AM »
Although my biggest cheses are made from 10 liters of milk, I do as you do Sailor (small family :P).

Debi, I wish I had 4-5 years old cheeses, I'm only two years in the "business". My oldest cheese I have is a Gruyere from 03/2009 and a small Swiss (dried out) that I use for grating, from 01/2009.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
Give it time you will!  ;)

Baby Chee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »
1)  Make cheese far more often.
2)  Make larger batches of cheese

However, it is yet untested if my copacity to create or my capacity to consume is the greater.  If t is the later then I run the risk of severe obesity and health problems related to a 100% cheese diet.

I'm already on the fast track after 7 weeks of cheesing.

Answer: 2

Only because 1 takes a lot more time.  I outlined in another thread how to make a cheese press and mold for 30lb. cheeses and it costs only $100 total and takes 2 hours to get together, if you are familiar with power tools.

As for the last remark, I have been on a cheese diet for 3 weeks and have lost 15 lbs.  I'll do it for about 11 days more and hope to lose another 7.  Just watch portions, that's all.

In November I plan to make a couple huge cheeses over a couple days.  They will mature early next year and then I can have 5+ months of cheese for 2 days work, instead of doing a day a week through the year.

vogironface

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:06:24 AM »
Right, I have trousers and a belt.  Ordered suspenders.  If that does not work out then I will adopt   Debi's strategy of splitting the batch.  Maybe if I do that I will forget the other exists untill I have accidentally aged it to perfection.  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »
Another trick I like to use is to make a few long aged cheeses and a few  quick ripened cheeses and a few bags of cheese curds to munch in between.

Baby Chee

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
Or: buy some store cheese and wait.  :P

BTW, suspenders are superior to belts.  If you ever begin wearing them, you might never get out of the habit: much more comfortable, clothes hang better, better for digestion.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
you are right Baby, more then 10 years of experience with suspenders.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »
...and suspenders leave room for expansion.  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:12:58 AM »
I like suspenders they look really kewl - IMHO.

Alex

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
...and suspenders leave room for expansion.  ;D

...like a good Emmenthal :D