Author Topic: reintroduction  (Read 2499 times)

reg

reintroduction
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
hi everyone, its been quite a while but i just wanted to say hello and a special hello to my friends Tea and John. Hope everything is good

This forum has sure grown since i was last here !

reg

FarmerJd

Re: reintroduction
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »
Hi reg, I've seen your name pop up a lot in old threads. I look forward to getting your input. I have really benefited a lot from this forum.

reg

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »
morning FarmerJD. I have also learned a lot from this forum. Unfortunately i'm not here as much as i would like to be but this is the 'off' season so i hope to be here a bit more.

looking forward to getting back into the cheese making for the next few months. my favourite cheese is the Alpine style, how about you, whats your number 1 cheese ?

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
Hi reg, welcome back ;D!

Hope you are going to get back in the groove and make some nice cheeses!

reg

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
hey John, hope everything has been good for you and the family.

will be trying to get a few wheels going here soon. looking at doing some caramelized cream with a very light lavender infusion in the Alpine style of cheese making. just need to get a few things out of the way first

good talking with you

oh BTW my email changed to xxxbbq@cogeco.caxxx just remove the x's

reg

Tea

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
REG!!! Great to see you back, and that you are well. I tried the Alpine, but I think temps were too high, and it didn't work out.  Very interested though in what you are hoping to trial with your Alpine.
Looking forward to you imput.

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »
I am a cheddar man. Make it at least once a week - 15 lb wheels. I made colby yesterday and am taking out of press today. I really want to try some different cheeses this winter (only make it during the winter when milking 3 cows.) and was considering diving into the swiss realm. I made one long ago and haven't since. I am a little ignorant of the various kinds but have read alot here. So by alpine do you mean like the recipe here or something more general. I am very interested and trying to decide where to go next. Thanks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:07:45 AM »
Hello Reg welcome back. It will be good to read some new posts by you.

reg

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
hi Tea. hope everything is going good, did you ever do up the beef bacon ?

Man the forum sure has became the place for cheese info, thats fantastic.

DeejayDebi will be posting more as soon as get back to some cheese making. most of what i do is the Alpine styles of cheese but the odd time i venture off into other areas. i love to incorporate this style of cheese into my cooking. i also love the cheese just the way it is with crackers and beer

Farmer JD. i did look at the recipe for Alpine that is posted to the recipe section and it is very close to the method i use. sometimes i will add a bit of flavour to it like camamelized milk or cream and/or try to create the flavours that the cows feed on in the pastures. for instance i had read someplace that the cattle in the alpine districts of France feed in fields that have a lot of wild herbs such as lavender so i would include that flavour into my cheese. the last alpine cheese i made had both caramelized cream and lavender infused water to get to my end result. was it perfect... no, was it good ...yes, i thought so. most of the fun is the affinage period and trying not to cut into it lol.

FarmerJd

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
So what is the texture of an alpine like? Gouda or swiss? or more like a cheddar?

Tea

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:59:56 AM »
Reg, regretfully, no, I haven't tried the beef bacon yet.  It is still on my "to do" list, which seems to be forever growing. ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:13 AM »
Was the sliced or ground beef bacon....??? I have yet to find a good beef bacon I really like. Maybe it's just the word bacons I expect pork fat flavor.

Wanna share the recipe? Huh? Huh? ::) Please?