Author Topic: Coating a Stilton type with fresh curds...details please.  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Coating a Stilton type with fresh curds...details please.
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
I was reading an old copy of the Cheesemakers' Journal (double issue: Nov/Dec 83 & Jan/Feb 84) and I came across an article on how they make Stilton Cheese in England. After they take the mass out of the large hoops, the cheese ladies take a spatula and go over the whole thing with a coat of fresh curds.  I assume this is done so that the end product looks uniform and also to help hold the mass together.  Has anyone else ever tried this technique?

~Cindy
~Cindy

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Coating a Stilton type with fresh curds...details please.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
No?  No one?   ???

Hummm...looks like it's time for some experimenting...Buuuahhahaa!
~Cindy

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 198
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »
Yes, this is standard for Stilton. It also works for similar cheeses that are lactic coagulated or use a high flocculation, and therefore have higher moisture content. You could not use fresh curds with a harder cheese like a cheddar because you couldn't spread the curds and get them to stick. For hard cheeses, you can use a spatula heated in hot water.

The reason for spreading fresh curds or for smoothing is for presentation, but more importantly for the rind. If there are a lot of cracks in the rind, the molds can get inside the cheese. And instead of forming a crust and then dying off, as happens with stilton, they would go inside and ruin the cheese. With a smoothed surface, the rind forms uniformly on the surface, mold grows, and then dies off.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
Muah!  Muah!  Thank you Linuxboy!

That's what I thought too.  So, can I just make up a batch of simple lactic cheese curds and "frost" it on?  I'm guessing so.  I'm going to try it today.  I have a blue that was actually taken out of the mold about a week ago, but it's still very soft and moist.  I probably should have done it right when it came out, but that's water under the bridge.
~Cindy

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
I'd use the same recipe for some curds as you did for the original cheese. A straight lactic cheese will spread almost like a cream cheese, and you don't want actual curd adhesion, not a straight spread coating.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »
So...what are you saying?  I should make up another batch of blue?  Perhaps I can leave out the mold culture.  I have been examining some blues and Stiltons and I notice that the outer perimeter doesn't have a lot of veining.  I assume it's because the "coating curd," is not blue.  Just a guess. 

At what stage should the cheese be coated?  Right out of the mold?  A few days later?  A couple of weeks later?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:42:20 AM by Tropit »
~Cindy

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • www.wacheese.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:01 AM »
You should smooth the surface with a cake spatula right out of the mold. You could also in theory use it as a filler if you get a crack in the cheese, but this is problematic because you'll likely be pushing mold into the cheese and contaminating it.

The edges if a cheese tend to be more tightly knit, so there's less oxygen, and therefore less veining.

Offline Tropit

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »
OK...Well, I'm going to try it the next time.  I was going to experiment with my last cheese, but it's really too far along now.  Thanks for all of the great info!
~Cindy