Author Topic: White Stilton, funny smell?  (Read 3992 times)

Matt

White Stilton, funny smell?
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:37:07 PM »
I made a White Stilton a week ago. It's been maturing a week in a cheese cave and it's developed a smell like vinegar? Is this normal or has the process gone wrong somewhere

Sailor Con Queso

Re: White Stilton, funny smell?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 03:40:16 AM »
I keep my Stiltons on a kitchen counter at room temp until they have time to really develop their blue mold. Then I move them into a 55F cave to finish aging.

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Having two sad and strange Stilton efforts (Sailor nailed my problem of using iodized salt to mill) I found my last one having that vinegar-y smell.  It hasn't allowed blue mold to foster because I milled with iodized salt instead of straight salt.  As it sat in the cave it was kind of maturing without any molds I can see and, I assume, ferments.

Keep it around a while longer and see what you get.  Is the blue mold noticeable?  If it is blue mold and not some other color, you are probably doing ok.  My first Stilton went fine, gathering blue, then overnight it was conquered in a green which smelled of seaweed and wrecked the cheese.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:10:36 AM »
Hi guys,
Although I've made a lot of Stilton cheeses I in no way consider myself to be an expert.
Now having said that I will say that Stilton cheeses just flat out stink while they are maturing.
I have tried several different temperature and humidity settings during the aging period and no matter what I try at a certain point a Stilton smells like a neglected gym bag.
Now regardless of this fact, if you do things right, within a few months you will be rewarded with one of the finest examples of blue cheese, available.
Don't let the smell bother you as long as everything else seems to be going well (for instance having the cheese liquify on you).
I have learned that Stilton can also be a deterrent to adverse behaviour from young children.
All I have to do is tell my 8 year old that I'm going to open the Stilton cave, if she doesn't settle down, and it works wonders. :)

Dave

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:24 AM »
I love blues, especially Stilton's, so I make them often (3 this week). My wife prefers a milder flavor so I let mine go 4-5 weeks and then vacuum bag. This cuts off the oxygen to the Penicillin mold and stabilizes the flavor at the milder levels. The cheese continues to age normally with proteolysis and enzyme reactions and develops a wonderful flavor even at just 60 days. I have been thrilled beyond expectations with the results. I have done around 50 different cheeses (or variations) so far, but our friends always ask for the Stilton when we offer them cheese. That's when I know I'm doing something right.

Tropit

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:16:24 PM »
I have to ask...what makes a, "White Stilton," white?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »
It's a Stilton without the Penicillium, so there is no blue. Not much point from my perspective. However, a lot of White Stiltons have added ingredients such as Cranberries to give them some flavor. Otherwise it's a plain looking white cheese.

Matt

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
Boo, it also tasted of vinegar, so the whole cheese had to go in the bin!! :'( :'( :'(

I think the problem was that it went straight in my cheese cave after making and didn't dry out at room temperature and so there was a layer of whey that got trapped underneath the rind. I think the whey surned sour over a few weeks giving the nasty flavour.